Crashed...need to recover. Please help - Help

This is a discussion on Crashed...need to recover. Please help - Help ; Recently, for whatever reason, my computer didn't boot up properly, and who knows what got corrupted (besides my linux installation). Anyways, Redhat won't boot anymore and I want to save the stuff in my home dir using a knoppix disc ...

  1. Crashed...need to recover. Please help

    Recently, for whatever reason, my computer didn't boot up properly, and who
    knows what got corrupted (besides my linux installation). Anyways, Redhat
    won't boot anymore and I want to save the stuff in my home dir using a
    knoppix disc to boot up and then copy everything I have to another computer,
    but I can't get in to my home dir. Is there any way to claim ownership of
    my former home dir or other wise access its contents?

    Alex Marshall

  2. Re: Crashed...need to recover. Please help

    Alex Marshall wrote:

    > Recently, for whatever reason, my computer didn't boot up properly, and
    > who
    > knows what got corrupted (besides my linux installation). Anyways, Redhat
    > won't boot anymore and I want to save the stuff in my home dir using a
    > knoppix disc to boot up and then copy everything I have to another
    > computer,
    > but I can't get in to my home dir. Is there any way to claim ownership of
    > my former home dir or other wise access its contents?

    Well, there's not a lot to go on, since you don't tell us anything about
    what commands you're using or what errors you're getting. I'm guessing
    that you're doing something like:

    - boot Knoppix

    - click on the hard disk partition /home used to be on

    - try to navigate to /home/username

    If that's what you're doing, probably the problem is that Knoppix by default
    logs you in as the user "knoppix", not as root. Thus, if your home
    directory on the RedHat installation wasn't world-readable and executable,
    you can't "get into" it.

    Does this seem to fit what's happening?

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: Crashed...need to recover. Please help

    In alt.os.linux Alex Marshall wrote:
    > Recently, for whatever reason, my computer didn't boot up properly, and who
    > knows what got corrupted (besides my linux installation). Anyways, Redhat
    > won't boot anymore and I want to save the stuff in my home dir using a
    > knoppix disc to boot up and then copy everything I have to another computer,
    > but I can't get in to my home dir.

    Well, try harder. Why would you care and what does it mean?

    >Is there any way to claim ownership of
    > my former home dir or other wise access its contents?

    In what sense do you not own it? Please be EXACT! You can access it by
    mounting it somewhere, and tarring up the contents and putting them
    somewhere else. Or just using straight cp.

    What are you talking about? Why do you think *I* should guess?

    If you don't have appropriate perms to read your old home dir, then
    either give yourself perms, change the perms, or do something else.
    What's the problem?

    Peter

  4. Re: Crashed...need to recover. Please help

    "Alex Marshall" wrote in message
    > Recently, for whatever reason, my computer didn't boot up properly, and

    who
    > knows what got corrupted (besides my linux installation). Anyways, Redhat
    > won't boot anymore and I want to save the stuff in my home dir using a
    > knoppix disc to boot up and then copy everything I have to another

    computer,
    > but I can't get in to my home dir. Is there any way to claim ownership of
    > my former home dir or other wise access its contents?

    Boot Knoppix, type "su" and return. This makes you root of the booted
    system. Then, mount the partition which has the files you want, cp them to
    the target media (nfs mount??), and there you have it.

    JW

  5. Re: Crashed...need to recover. Please help

    P.T. Breuer wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux Alex Marshall wrote:

    >>Is there any way to claim ownership of
    >>my former home dir or other wise access its contents?

    > In what sense do you not own it? Please be EXACT!

    Sounds like Win2K Administrator priviledge: Take Ownership
    [Under Win2K you can't give ownership, only take it - it's a faff to do a
    "# chown user:group file"]

    > You can access it by
    > mounting it somewhere,

    That appears, mefinx, to be the problem: knoppix has booted up but not
    mounted his original /home over its /home and it's confused him

+ Reply to Thread