Disk space problem - Help

This is a discussion on Disk space problem - Help ; I installed RedHat 9 on a PC about two weeks ago. I am now getting "can't write to disk" errors advising me that I am out of space. df shows 100% used. Yet try as I might I can't find ...

  1. Disk space problem

    I installed RedHat 9 on a PC about two weeks ago. I am now getting
    "can't write to disk" errors advising me that I am out of space. df
    shows 100% used. Yet try as I might I can't find anything that should
    be eating up my whole drive. I went thru virtually every file in
    /var. Can anyone point me to someplace that everyone should look to
    when this happens?

  2. Re: Disk space problem

    Don Heffernan wrote:
    > I installed RedHat 9 on a PC about two weeks ago. I am now getting
    > "can't write to disk" errors advising me that I am out of space. df
    > shows 100% used. Yet try as I might I can't find anything that should
    > be eating up my whole drive. I went thru virtually every file in
    > /var. Can anyone point me to someplace that everyone should look to
    > when this happens?

    Check the "." files in your own home directory. I think someone had a
    similar problem earlier and his .xsession-errors file had gotten gigantic.

  3. Re: Disk space problem

    On 18 Nov 2003 06:05:12 -0800, donheff@excite.com (Don Heffernan) wrote:

    > I installed RedHat 9 on a PC about two weeks ago. I am now getting
    > "can't write to disk" errors advising me that I am out of space. df
    > shows 100% used. Yet try as I might I can't find anything that should
    > be eating up my whole drive. I went thru virtually every file in
    > /var. Can anyone point me to someplace that everyone should look to
    > when this happens?

    ..... /tmp, dot files in your home-dir. you could run 'du' to
    find the culprits. worse-case scenario is that you've been
    rooted and someone's storing stuff on your box, in hidden
    locations
    ..
    The English have no respect for their language, and will
    not teach their children to speak it. - G. B. Shaw

  4. Re: Disk space problem

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:05:12 +1100, Don Heffernan wrote:

    > I installed RedHat 9 on a PC about two weeks ago. I am now getting
    > "can't write to disk" errors advising me that I am out of space. df
    > shows 100% used. Yet try as I might I can't find anything that should
    > be eating up my whole drive. I went thru virtually every file in
    > /var. Can anyone point me to someplace that everyone should look to
    > when this happens?

    If a process opens a file, writes to it, unlinks it, but does not close it,
    the space allocated is not freed.

    Ring any bells? Try:

    lsof +L1

    --