how do I transfer files to remote server logging into remote server's $BASH prompt - Help

This is a discussion on how do I transfer files to remote server logging into remote server's $BASH prompt - Help ; I'm a nebie and exhausted working with my ISP trying to securely transfer files to the hosting account. I can log into to using PuTTy and get to a $BASH prompt. From there I can use FTP but then I ...

  1. how do I transfer files to remote server logging into remote server's $BASH prompt

    I'm a nebie and exhausted working with my ISP trying to securely transfer
    files to the hosting account. I can log into to using PuTTy and get to a
    $BASH prompt. From there I can use FTP but then I am ftping from THAt
    server, not my computer.

    I have tried WinSCP but I don't have SCP on remote server and don't want to
    load it on server as I am obviously a novice with */nix commands

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: how do I transfer files to remote server logging into remote server's $BASH prompt

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:43:51 -0500 NotGiven scrawled this disquisition:

    > I'm a nebie and exhausted working with my ISP trying to securely transfer
    > files to the hosting account. I can log into to using PuTTy and get to a
    > $BASH prompt. From there I can use FTP but then I am ftping from THAt
    > server, not my computer.
    >
    > I have tried WinSCP but I don't have SCP on remote server and don't want
    > to load it on server as I am obviously a novice with */nix commands
    >
    > Any ideas?

    If you're logged into a prompt on the remote server then you would have to
    use the FTP client on that server to log into the FTP server on your box
    to transfer files to the ISP. Sounds rather backwards to me :-)

    Do you really have shell access on the ISP's computer?

    Just use your FTP client to upload and download files.
    ftp open ftp.myisp.com ( try ftp --help or man ftp )
    ls or dir --> lists files in the directory
    cd --> changes the directory
    get --> downloads files from the server
    put --> uploads files to the server
    ( at least with most *nix clients and servers )

    If you're uploading files into your website try using sitecopy. Takes a
    little thought to get it set up but once you do the command is:
    sitecopy -u mywebsite
    and all changes on the local mirror are auto uploaded.

    FS

  3. Re: how do I transfer files to remote server logging into remote server's $BASH prompt

    If you are logging in to the server with PuTTy, then the server is
    running SSH1 or 2 (most likely, hopefully, the latter). In that case
    you can use the pscp utility that accompanies PuTTy. You can get that
    here:

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

    Once you have that, then on the Win command line, 'cd' into the same
    folder as pscp.exe and execute:

    pscp -r C:\folder\with\all\your\files username@serveraddress:

    And they will be securely copied to the server

  4. Re: how do I transfer files to remote server logging into remote server's $BASH prompt

    "NotGiven" wrote in message news:<12oub.161$OX2.15@bignews4.bellsouth.net>...
    > I'm a nebie and exhausted working with my ISP trying to securely transfer
    > files to the hosting account. I can log into to using PuTTy and get to a
    > $BASH prompt. From there I can use FTP but then I am ftping from THAt
    > server, not my computer.
    >
    > I have tried WinSCP but I don't have SCP on remote server and don't want to
    > load it on server as I am obviously a novice with */nix commands
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Indeed. In order to perform a secure transfer between two computers,
    you will need one with a secure server (like sshd) and the other with
    a secure client (like scp). Start the server and then use the client
    to connect to it. Its OK - don't be scared!

+ Reply to Thread