"sending pkt_too_big" means... what? - Help

This is a discussion on "sending pkt_too_big" means... what? - Help ; Hi all, I've recently experienced a rather interesting little problem on my RH8.0 machine (Linux dhcppc1 2.4.18-19.8.0 #1 Thu Dec 12 04:37:40 EST 2002 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux). After a long time of faithful service, the machine has spontaneously (I ...

  1. "sending pkt_too_big" means... what?

    Hi all,

    I've recently experienced a rather interesting little problem on my RH8.0
    machine
    (Linux dhcppc1 2.4.18-19.8.0 #1 Thu Dec 12 04:37:40 EST 2002 i686 athlon
    i386 GNU/Linux).

    After a long time of faithful service, the machine has spontaneously (I
    haven't installed anything new or done anything to it that I'm aware of)
    begun to hang every connection to it whenever something larger than one
    packet is about to be sent from it.

    Meaning, everything from "ls" to "dmesg" hangs the connection (ssh) since
    there seems to bw too much information to send (>1 packet); paging those
    commands with "more" and having a small terminal window works.

    Also, the website no longer works (http), so it doesn't appear to be a
    problem with just the ssh daemon either.

    dmesg gives a long string of "sending pkt_too_big (len[1500] pmtu[1496]) to
    self", which appears to correlate to one line per "hang".

    This is not consistent but appears to be dependent on network
    delays/distances or something similar; when I log on from within the same
    subnet (100 Mbps, only me using it) everything works just fine, when I do it
    from whatever distance it hangs like this almost all the time.

    Is it possible to set some packet fragmentation parameters to get rid of
    this problem? Does anyone know what is happening? I've googled around a bit
    but found only questions, not answers.

    TIA,
    Fredrik Lšnnergren

  2. Ehm, sorry about that...fixed it.

    "Fredrik Lšnnergren" wrote in message
    *snip*
    > dmesg gives a long string of "sending pkt_too_big (len[1500] pmtu[1496])

    > self", which appears to correlate to one line per "hang".

    *snip*

    Apologies...

    I should have done a little more research, apparently.
    It's fixed now, by simply doing "ifconfig mtu 1496"... pretty obvious
    when you read up some on what pmtu means.

    /Fredrik

+ Reply to Thread