Hellp needed for installing Macromedia Flash Player in RedHat Linux 9 - Help

This is a discussion on Hellp needed for installing Macromedia Flash Player in RedHat Linux 9 - Help ; I have just recently put RedHat Linux 9 on to my computer, and it is my first Linux OS. I have downloaded the file from macromedia.com, but I don't know how to install it. I was able to decompress the ...

  1. Hellp needed for installing Macromedia Flash Player in RedHat Linux 9

    I have just recently put RedHat Linux 9 on to my computer, and it is
    my first Linux OS. I have downloaded the file from macromedia.com, but
    I don't know how to install it. I was able to decompress the file, but
    after that I am completely stuck. Can someone please give me step by
    step instructions for doing this? I am very new to the system, so I
    may have some problems. So far the only help I could find in files
    about installing make refrences to files or directories that do not
    even exist on my computer, or are not found when the commands are
    used. If it also makes a difference, I am using Mosilla as a web
    browser and Optimum Online, so I have a cable modem. Any replies
    answering this would really help me a lot and would be very much
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Hellp needed for installing Macromedia Flash Player in RedHat Linux 9

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:07:53 -0800, cpietrzak@optonline.net (cpietrzak)
    wrote in message news::

    > I have just recently put RedHat Linux 9 on to my computer, and it is my
    > first Linux OS. I have downloaded the file from macromedia.com, but I
    > don't know how to install it. I was able to decompress the file, but
    > after that I am completely stuck. Can someone please give me step by
    > step instructions for doing this? I am very new to the system, so I may
    > have some problems. So far the only help I could find in files about
    > installing make refrences to files or directories that do not even exist
    > on my computer, or are not found when the commands are used. If it also
    > makes a difference, I am using Mosilla as a web browser and Optimum
    > Online, so I have a cable modem. Any replies answering this would really
    > help me a lot and would be very much appreciated.

    A little more information would be helpful. Did you follow the step by
    step installation instructions provided by Macromedia? If so, which
    instruction did you get stuck on? Which files and directories does it
    reference that do not exist on your computer? And which version of
    Mozilla are you using?

    --
    Be it ever so humble, there's no place like 127.0.0.1

  3. Re: Hellp needed for installing Macromedia Flash Player in RedHat Linux 9

    cpietrzak wrote:

    > I have just recently put RedHat Linux 9 on to my computer, and it is
    > my first Linux OS. I have downloaded the file from macromedia.com, but
    > I don't know how to install it. I was able to decompress the file, but
    > after that I am completely stuck. Can someone please give me step by
    > step instructions for doing this? I am very new to the system, so I
    > may have some problems. So far the only help I could find in files
    > about installing make refrences to files or directories that do not
    > even exist on my computer, or are not found when the commands are
    > used. If it also makes a difference, I am using Mosilla as a web
    > browser and Optimum Online, so I have a cable modem. Any replies
    > answering this would really help me a lot and would be very much
    > appreciated.

    Copy the libflashplayer.so file to the /usr/lib/mozilla directory.

  4. Re: Hellp needed for installing Macromedia Flash Player in RedHat Linux 9

    Thank you so much. I've gotten flash to work, and its a big relief.
    I've spent a long time today going in circles in various places to
    find help. But now it's up and running! I'm not used to having
    problems with computers, as I was completely fluent with MS Windows.
    Moving to Linux however has been... challenging... but I do believe it
    will be a lot better once I set up some more things. I think all
    that's left for now before my system is perfect is to install
    shockwave and running wine. Hopefully i won't have much more trouble,
    but now I know where to go to for help!

+ Reply to Thread