ether card help - Help

This is a discussion on ether card help - Help ; I am trying to set up an infotel ethercard for a home network. so I'm following the instructions at: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/us....html#contents Which say: 13.4.1 Configuring an Ethernet Card img/System-4.png 1. At a command line, type: dpkg-reconfigure etherconf. The Ethernet Networking Configuration ...

  1. ether card help

    I am trying to set up an infotel ethercard for a home network. so I'm following
    the instructions at:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/us....html#contents

    Which say:

    13.4.1 Configuring an Ethernet Card

    img/System-4.png

    1. At a command line, type: dpkg-reconfigure etherconf. The Ethernet
    Networking Configuration screen opens.

    but I get:

    dpkg-reconfigure etherconf
    /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: etherconf is not fully installed

    The instructions don't cover this contingency. Now what do I do.

    Joe

    PS. if you noticed my lost and restored partition adventure above then you know I
    could use a network backup system.

  2. Re: ether card help

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:51:00 -0600, "joemansh(USENEWS)+\"NOSPAM\""
    <"joemansh(USENEWS)+\"NOSPAM\""@interl.net> wrote in message

    > I am trying to set up an infotel ethercard for a home network. so I'm
    > following the instructions at:
    > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/us....html#contents
    >
    > Which say:
    >
    > 13.4.1 Configuring an Ethernet Card
    >
    > img/System-4.png
    >
    > 1. At a command line, type: dpkg-reconfigure etherconf. The Ethernet
    > Networking Configuration screen opens.
    >

    > but I get:
    >
    > dpkg-reconfigure etherconf
    > /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: etherconf is not fully installed
    >

    > The instructions don't cover this contingency. Now what do I do.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > PS. if you noticed my lost and restored partition adventure above then
    > you know I could use a network backup system.

    Did you try doing a 'dpkg -i etherconf'?

    --
    Funny Lurlean quote #55:
    "Some sinners get so much radiation on them that they just blow up and leave a

  3. Re: ether card help

    When I ran "dpkg-reconfigure etherconf" it corrupted something. now konquerer and mozilla cannot connect
    to the internet. The serial modem still dials for "pon" but other programs can't access it.

    Joe

  4. Re: ether card help

    joe(usenews) wrote:

    > When I ran "dpkg-reconfigure etherconf" it corrupted something. now
    > konquerer and mozilla cannot connect
    > to the internet. The serial modem still dials for "pon" but other
    > programs can't access it.
    >

    > Joe

    guess I've stumped the news group.

    after some digging I found that "dpkg-reconfigure etherconf" had changed
    /etc/hosts so I changed it back but that didn't help.

    how can I find every thing that was changed by "dpkg-reconfigure etherconf"?

    I will hunt down this problem yet!

    Joe