Help getting started with email in Linux - Help

This is a discussion on Help getting started with email in Linux - Help ; Okay, I am a bit lost here. Do I have to set up my machine as some kind of server to check email? I keep running into that kind of thing when trying to figure out how it works? I ...

  1. Help getting started with email in Linux

    Okay, I am a bit lost here. Do I have to set up my machine as some kind
    of server to check email? I keep running into that kind of thing when
    trying to figure out how it works? I have an older machine (48mb/233mhz)
    and have trouble with Netscape, which admittedly does everything without
    demanding I know more than I actually do. But, since it is difficult to
    use on my computer I would like to run something leaner, such as
    Mutt or Pine. Besides, I really just prefer text over the X stuff.
    But, setting them up is next to impossible for me at this
    time, and I cannot even figure out where to start. So, what I am
    wondering is what would be the minimum I would need to run in
    order to check mail from my ISP with a dialup account using Pop3, and
    then to reply via the SMTP of that same account? Do I have to run
    sendmail and fetchmail, which I cannot seem to even figure out to be
    honest? Is the '@localhost.localdomain' tag going to be a problem, and
    if so, can it be worked around?

    Obviously, I am a total newbie here, to both Linux and the technicals of
    email. Previously I have used simple Windows95 clients, i.e. Outlook
    Express, Calypso, etc. I guess I am just having a difficulty even
    getting a foothold of what is needed to get started. Any help or
    pointers is greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks,

    Cothrige

  2. Re: Help getting started with email in Linux

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:48:29 -0600, "cothrige" wrote:

    > order to check mail from my ISP with a dialup account using Pop3, and
    > then to reply via the SMTP of that same account? D

    .... sylpheed is decent. just set the pop3 server and the
    smtp server and your login information and that's all you need
    to do - just like in that other environment you mentioned.
    ..
    The full impact of parenthood doesn't hit you until you multiply the
    number of your kids by 32 teeth.

  3. Re: Help getting started with email in Linux

    Many thanks, that is a very nice little program. It definitely made
    connecting and manipulating the mail much easier. Definitely will make
    my email life a bit easier now.

    Thanks again,

    Cothrige

+ Reply to Thread