Hello,

I seem to have broken my RH8 system by trying to upgrade gtk. After a
bit of playing around, I was successfully able to configure, compile
and install the latest GLib, Gtk+, etc. (A newer version was required
for an application I was trying to install). One of the problems was
that Gtk+ was unable to complete ./configure because an old version of
Glib was interfering.

So I wiped both, and managed to get the new version to install without
a problem. However now I can't get xwindows to start. Upon trying
startx :-

PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
xinit: No such file or directory.: Unable to connect
xinit: No such process (errno3): server error

Upon trying Xclients or xinitrc:-

gnome-init: can't find libgtk-x11-2.9.so.0

I've no idea what these programs do, but they do seem to provide a
clue. That file does exist, but I suspect that it's path is different
from the previous gtk version and as such in the course of gnome
starting up, it can't find this required file (or perhaps all of gtk)
and is unable to start.

You may well notice that I don't really have a clue what I'm doing, so
I'd appreciate if anyone can let me know what is going on here.

Thanks,

David Perry