Quick question about Grub - Help

This is a discussion on Quick question about Grub - Help ; I'm running DeadRat 9, and upgraded the kernel by their up2date. As I know better than to keep a generic kernel, I took the source as well. Now, it's time to compile my own. I've done this before, but only ...

  1. Quick question about Grub

    I'm running DeadRat 9, and upgraded the kernel by their up2date. As I
    know better than to keep a generic kernel, I took the source as well.
    Now, it's time to compile my own. I've done this before, but only
    using lilo, so I want to check what I'm doing with grub.

    From what I can see, all I need to do is re-name the old vmlinuz and
    inetrd, put the new ones in and reboot. As the update kept a listing
    in grub.conf for the old kernel, I can always use that in an
    emergency. Anything else I need to know, or any gotchas to avoid?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  2. Re: Quick question about Grub

    > From what I can see, all I need to do is re-name the old vmlinuz and
    > inetrd, put the new ones in and reboot. As the update kept a listing

    Yes, but one thing I normally do is create a new menu entry for the kernel
    thus installed. But you're right, it is just as simple as that. Unlike with
    LILO, there is no need to re-install GRUB.

    --
    -- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com/)
    Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!

  3. Re: Quick question about Grub

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:30:53 GMT, Joe Zeff wrote:

    > From what I can see, all I need to do is re-name the old vmlinuz and
    > inetrd, put the new ones in and reboot. As the update kept a listing
    > in grub.conf for the old kernel, I can always use that in an
    > emergency. Anything else I need to know, or any gotchas to avoid?

    appears fine to me. just ensure you do have the backup
    kernel/initd on the grub menu
    ..
    There once was a hacker named Ken
    Who inherited truckloads of Yen
    So he built him some chicks
    Of silicon chips
    And hasn't been heard from since then.

  4. Re: Quick question about Grub

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:30:53 +0000, Joe Zeff typed:

    > I'm running DeadRat 9, and upgraded the kernel by their up2date. As I
    > know better than to keep a generic kernel, I took the source as well.
    > Now, it's time to compile my own. I've done this before, but only using
    > lilo, so I want to check what I'm doing with grub.
    >
    > From what I can see, all I need to do is re-name the old vmlinuz and
    > inetrd, put the new ones in and reboot. As the update kept a listing in
    > grub.conf for the old kernel, I can always use that in an emergency.
    > Anything else I need to know, or any gotchas to avoid?

    Quoting from;
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...dularized.html

    11. Use make install to copy the new kernel and its associated files to
    the proper directories.

    In addition to installing the kernel files in the /boot directory, this
    command also executes the /sbin/new-kernel-pkg script that builds a new
    initrd image and adds new entries to the boot loader configuration file.

    If the system has a SCSI adapter and the SCSI driver was compiled as a
    module or if the kernel was built with ext3 support as a module (the
    default in Red Hat Linux), the initrd image is required.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  5. Re: Quick question about Grub

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:54:58 GMT, "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards"
    wrote:

    >> From what I can see, all I need to do is re-name the old vmlinuz and
    >> inetrd, put the new ones in and reboot. As the update kept a listing

    >Yes, but one thing I normally do is create a new menu entry for the kernel
    >thus installed. But you're right, it is just as simple as that. Unlike with
    >LILO, there is no need to re-install GRUB.

    That's what I would have done with LILO, and re-run it. Just wanted
    to be sure I knew what the minimum required was.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  6. Re: Quick question about Grub

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:26:02 GMT, mjt
    wrote:

    >appears fine to me. just ensure you do have the backup
    >kernel/initd on the grub menu

    The kernel/initd from when it was first installed is still there, and
    I'm not removing it.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: Quick question about Grub

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:39:52 GMT, Lenard wrote:

    >Quoting from;
    >http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...dularized.html

    This was exactly what I needed to expand on the README file. Thanx!

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  8. Re: Quick question about Grub

    wrote:

    > As I
    >know better than to keep a generic kernel, I took the source as well.

    Alas, something went wrong in compile: __ide_do_rw_disk is an
    undefined symbol. Checking on google, that's a function, so I'm
    probably missing a file. Oddly, I can't find anything there about the
    source file complaining aout it, so I may have miscopied it. Will
    keep you informed.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns