Hello,

I have a third party extension to PHP that I am trying to add, let's call it
xxxx. I installed Apache, no problem. In fact, PHP installs fine but the
extension isn't making it...

Here is where I run into problems...

I have a directory, /usr/src/php-4.3.4/ext/xxxx, with 6 files and a sub-dir.

Makefile.in
README
config.m4
xxxx.c
libs.mk
php_xxxx.h
tests <- DIR with test phpt files

While in /usr/src/php-4.3.4/ I type the following...

../configure --with-apxs=/www/bin/apxs --with-openssl --with-xxxx
make

At this point I can see that it's not doing anything with my third party
extension. I can go to ext/mysql or ext/openssl and I'll see that it's
added a few files but the xxxx directory remains unchanged. I also can't
find any error messages or logs that might tell me what's happening. The
README file isn't helping, as I've followed the instructions on numerous
attempts without success. There is no support from the extension's
developer, so that route is not a valid option.

If I go on (using the test files) it skips the tests because the extension
isn't loaded, and if I bother with a make install the PHP portion works but
my PHP test files all behave as though the extension isn't loaded.

Any ideas?

Using Apache 1.3.29 with PHP 4.3.4 on Gentoo 1.4 (2.4.22 kernel). THANKS!

--
gorf