depmod -a on boot up - Help

This is a discussion on depmod -a on boot up - Help ; OK I have an old version of slackware and on boot up it runs the command depmod -a after which a whole slew of unresolved symbols come on the screen. I know I could put an end to that by ...

  1. depmod -a on boot up

    OK I have an old version of slackware and on
    boot up it runs the command

    depmod -a

    after which a whole slew of unresolved symbols
    come on the screen.

    I know I could put an end to that by changing the
    command to

    depmod -q

    But I prefer to that there be no unresolved symbols.

    where does depmod get the symbols to do its work on.

    my conf.modules file is pretty lean.

    ccx:/etc# cat conf.modules
    alias net-pf-4 off
    alias net-pf-5 off

    And also where does depmod put its file after it has done
    its work?

  2. Re: depmod -a on boot up

    tom wrote:

    > OK I have an old version of slackware and on
    > boot up it runs the command
    >
    > depmod -a
    >
    > after which a whole slew of unresolved symbols
    > come on the screen.
    >
    > I know I could put an end to that by changing the
    > command to
    >
    > depmod -q
    >
    > But I prefer to that there be no unresolved symbols.
    >
    > where does depmod get the symbols to do its work on.
    > ec
    > my conf.modules file is pretty lean.
    >
    > ccx:/etc# cat conf.modules
    > alias net-pf-4 off
    > alias net-pf-5 off
    >
    > And also where does depmod put its file after it has done
    > its work?

    depmod gets its information from the files in /lib/modules/xxxxxxx where
    xxxxxxx is the version of the kernel running. The object files have an
    export section listing the symbols they export. In the case of unresolved
    symbols, one modules needs the symbol but no modules has the symbol.

    depmod stores the information in /lib/modules/xxxxxx/modules.dep which list
    modules that each module needs.

+ Reply to Thread