Can't SSH from outside of LAN - Help

This is a discussion on Can't SSH from outside of LAN - Help ; Ever since I created LAN (two computers, router, cable modem), I can't SSH into the box I used to SSH into from school and work. I can only SSH into the box from within the LAN. I use DHCP. What ...

  1. Can't SSH from outside of LAN

    Ever since I created LAN (two computers, router, cable modem), I can't SSH
    into the box I used to SSH into from school and work. I can only SSH into
    the box from within the LAN. I use DHCP.

    What can I do to enable SSH from outside the LAN?

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove capital letters: SPAM)

  2. Re: Can't SSH from outside of LAN

    Naota wrote:
    > Ever since I created LAN (two computers, router, cable modem), I can't SSH
    > into the box I used to SSH into from school and work. I can only SSH into
    > the box from within the LAN. I use DHCP.
    >
    > What can I do to enable SSH from outside the LAN?

    You probably need to forward the ssh port from your router to the ssh
    server on your lan. Hopefully your router manual covers port
    forwarding.

    --
    Jeremy A. Gray
    gray@metacomet.net

    "Remember the Pueblo." -- the Fourth Law of Marvin

  3. Re: Can't SSH from outside of LAN

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:17:20 +0000, Jeremy Gray wrote:

    > You probably need to forward the ssh port from your router to the ssh
    > server on your lan. Hopefully your router manual covers port
    > forwarding.

    Thanks for responding!

    How do I forward the ssh port? If the answer to my question is rtfm, then
    wfm (what f*cking manual)?

    Naota

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove capital letters: SPAM)

  4. Re: Can't SSH from outside of LAN

    "Naota" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.11.10.20.48.49.618094@the.signature...
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:17:20 +0000, Jeremy Gray wrote:
    >
    > > You probably need to forward the ssh port from your router to the ssh
    > > server on your lan. Hopefully your router manual covers port
    > > forwarding.

    > Thanks for responding!
    >
    > How do I forward the ssh port? If the answer to my question is rtfm, then
    > wfm (what f*cking manual)?

    In this case the manual for your router configuration. Also, see man sshd.

    JW

  5. Re: Can't SSH from outside of LAN

    >On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:17:20 +0000, Jeremy Gray wrote:

    >How do I forward the ssh port? If the answer to my question is rtfm, then
    >wfm (what f*cking manual)?

    The router manual

+ Reply to Thread