Problem in booting RH Linux 9 - Help

This is a discussion on Problem in booting RH Linux 9 - Help ; Hi, I have a dual-boot machine with Windows 2000 & RH Linux 9 installed. Everything was working fine until, I found that 3GB space was unallocated in the windows partition, so I formatted it as NTFS. Then, when I restarted ...

  1. Problem in booting RH Linux 9

    Hi,

    I have a dual-boot machine with Windows 2000 & RH Linux 9 installed.
    Everything was working fine until, I found that 3GB space was
    unallocated in the windows partition, so I formatted it as NTFS.

    Then, when I restarted my machine, I was taken to the grub> prompt
    instead of the option to select the OS (Linux/DOS).

    Then I managed to boot into Windows 2000 using the following set of
    commands.
    Windows 2000 is in hda1.

    grub > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    grub > chainloader +1
    grub > boot

    Kindly guide me by helping me boot into RH Linux 9 (UI based) from the
    grub prompt. As far as I remember, Linux is in hda2.

    TIA,
    Dips

  2. Re: Problem in booting RH Linux 9

    On 9 Nov 2003 20:11:47 -0800, diptanshu_parui@yahoo.com (Diptanshu Parui) wrote:

    > grub > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > grub > chainloader +1
    > grub > boot
    >
    > Kindly guide me by helping me boot into RH Linux 9 (UI based) from the
    > grub prompt. As far as I remember, Linux is in hda2.

    you'll have to do the same thing to boot Linux. you'll
    need to know the /boot partition (so grub can find its
    files) and the 'root' partition. you'll pass these values
    to grub via its CLI (as you did previously).

    optionally, you can use RH CD#1 to boot the installed
    system and then re-run grub
    ..
    Know what I hate most? Rhetorical questions. - Henry N. Camp

  3. Re: Problem in booting RH Linux 9

    I tried finding the boot partition.

    grub > find /vmlinuz

    but this gives Error 15: File not found.

    Also root (hdx,y) gave me the following for different combinations of x,y.

    0,0 Filesystem type is FAT Partition type 0xc
    0,1 Filesystem type is unknown Partition type 0xf
    0,2 Error 22: No such partition
    0,3 Error 22: No such partition
    0,4 Filesystem type is FAT Partition type 0xb
    0,5 Filesystem type is FAT Partition type 0xb

    1,y gave Error 21: Selected disk doesnt exist. (for diff values of f.)

    Regards,
    Dips

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > On 9 Nov 2003 20:11:47 -0800, diptanshu_parui@yahoo.com (Diptanshu Parui) wrote:
    >
    > > grub > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > > grub > chainloader +1
    > > grub > boot
    > >
    > > Kindly guide me by helping me boot into RH Linux 9 (UI based) from the
    > > grub prompt. As far as I remember, Linux is in hda2.

    > you'll have to do the same thing to boot Linux. you'll
    > need to know the /boot partition (so grub can find its
    > files) and the 'root' partition. you'll pass these values
    > to grub via its CLI (as you did previously).
    >
    > optionally, you can use RH CD#1 to boot the installed
    > system and then re-run grub
    > .

  4. Re: Problem in booting RH Linux 9

    On 10 Nov 2003 20:23:06 -0800, diptanshu_parui@yahoo.com (Diptanshu Parui) wrote:

    > I tried finding the boot partition.
    > grub > find /vmlinuz
    > but this gives Error 15: File not found.
    > Also root (hdx,y)

    a couple of options:
    1) boot win2k and use the disk utitily (admin menu) to
    locate the Linux partitions (or fdisk)
    2) use the RH CD#1 to boot in rescue mode (or whatever
    it is RH has on its boot menu
    ..
    Slurm, n.: The slime that accumulates on the underside of a soap
    bar when it sits in the dish too long. - Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

+ Reply to Thread