old laptop floppy access reboots - Help

This is a discussion on old laptop floppy access reboots - Help ; Hi, I have spent the last 4 days trying to install Debian 2.1 on a TI Travelmate 4000 WinSX/25mHz. I can never get the system to access my floppy (by mount or install program) more than once without it rebooting. ...

  1. old laptop floppy access reboots

    Hi, I have spent the last 4 days trying to install Debian 2.1 on a TI
    Travelmate 4000 WinSX/25mHz. I can never get the system to access my
    floppy (by mount or install program) more than once without it
    rebooting. SYSLINUX works fine, it loads and decompresses off the
    floppy correctly, but if I try and access the floppy again, the
    computer reboots, unless I pass floppy=nodma, which makes it access
    the floppy for a long time (doesn't hang) but never accomplishes
    anything.
    I have tried passing: floppy=0,daring floppy=broken_dcl floppy=slow
    no387 and nofxsr. I have also tried using both resc1440 and
    resc1440tecra (fixes a20 problem) bootdisks.
    I am wondering if anyone knows how I could get the 2.0.30* kernel
    which debian 2.1 uses to access the floppy successfully. Maybe I
    should investigate something other than floppy parameters?
    Thank you!

  2. Re: old laptop floppy access reboots

    "Matt Strange" wrote in message
    news:33e33d88.0311082220.88c3abe@posting.google.co m

    > Hi, I have spent the last 4 days trying to install Debian 2.1 on a TI
    > Travelmate 4000 WinSX/25mHz.

    Why such an old version?

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  3. Re: old laptop floppy access reboots

    >> Why such an old version?
    Mostly due to hard disk and RAM constaints; Woody doesn't accept
    less than 12MB currently. I don't think kernel version is the
    problem, websites list success on this kind of laptop with version
    0.99 =). There were also a number of sites that posed questions on
    reboot @ floppy access but no responses. I could build a stripped
    down modern kernel if needed later on, but for now I'm trying to do it
    with prebuilt packages so I don't have to get a bunch of source tars.

  4. Re: old laptop floppy access reboots

    "Matt Strange" wrote in message
    news:33e33d88.0311082220.88c3abe@posting.google.co m...
    > Hi, I have spent the last 4 days trying to install Debian 2.1 on a TI
    > Travelmate 4000 WinSX/25mHz. I can never get the system to access my
    > floppy (by mount or install program) more than once without it
    > rebooting. SYSLINUX works fine, it loads and decompresses off the
    > floppy correctly, but if I try and access the floppy again, the
    > computer reboots, unless I pass floppy=nodma, which makes it access
    > the floppy for a long time (doesn't hang) but never accomplishes
    > anything.
    > I have tried passing: floppy=0,daring floppy=broken_dcl floppy=slow
    > no387 and nofxsr. I have also tried using both resc1440 and
    > resc1440tecra (fixes a20 problem) bootdisks.
    > I am wondering if anyone knows how I could get the 2.0.30* kernel
    > which debian 2.1 uses to access the floppy successfully. Maybe I
    > should investigate something other than floppy parameters?

    Perhaps the more recent stable version 3.0r1?

    JW

  5. Re: old laptop floppy access reboots

    > Perhaps the more recent stable version 3.0r1?

    I just tried 3.0.0, which I have on disk; the 2.2.20-idepci kernel
    provides this information which seems to sum up the problem:

    status=10
    fdc_busy=0
    cont=00000000
    CURRENT=00000000
    command_status=-1

    floppy0: unexpected interrupt
    VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press
    ENTER
    floppy0: unexpected interrupt
    flopppy0: sensei repl[0]=c0 repl=[1]=0
    flopppy0: sensei repl[0]=c1 repl=[1]=0
    flopppy0: sensei repl[0]=c2 repl=[1]=0
    flopppy0: sensei repl[0]=c3 repl=[1]=0

    Anyone know how to make the kernel ignore these unexpected
    interrupts or how I could investigate them? Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread