HELP! password and login - Help

This is a discussion on HELP! password and login - Help ; i've forgotten my linux login and password. is there some way to skip the login process? What's the default login/password linux gives at installation?...

  1. HELP! password and login

    i've forgotten my linux login and password.

    is there some way to skip the login process?

    What's the default login/password linux gives at installation?

  2. Re: HELP! password and login

    jiapan wrote:

    > i've forgotten my linux login and password.

    Do you know the root password? If you do, you can log in as root, look in
    /etc/passwd and see if the list of accounts reminds you which was yours.
    You can also use "passwd " to reset an account's password.

    > is there some way to skip the login process?

    For a regular user account? Generally no, unless you've set up such a
    method. If you've forgotten the root password, you can try booting in
    single-user mode, or with a rescue disk.

    > What's the default login/password linux gives at installation?

    The only Linux distributions I've seen that have a default username and
    password are floppy-based or CD-based ones. Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, and
    most likely other "normal" Linux distributions ask you for the root
    password you want to use, and for a username and password for a non-root
    account.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  3. Re: HELP! password and login

    jiapan wrote:

    > i've forgotten my linux login and password.
    >
    > is there some way to skip the login process?
    >
    > What's the default login/password linux gives at installation?

    If you use the bootdisk, you can go to rescue mode, zap the passwords (edit
    the field so it is blank in either /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow). That should
    do the trick.

  4. Re: HELP! password and login

    jiapan wrote:

    > i've forgotten my linux login and password.

    .... you forgot BOTH? when was the last time you logged in?

    > is there some way to skip the login process?

    .... no

    > What's the default login/password linux gives at installation?

    none, except for the one's you setup. you could boot-init
    the shell and fix the password, but you have to know the
    root password for that
    ..
    Two percent of zero is almost nothing.

  5. Re: HELP! password and login

    mjt wrote:

    > jiapan wrote:
    >
    >> i've forgotten my linux login and password.

    > ... you forgot BOTH? when was the last time you logged in?
    >
    >> is there some way to skip the login process?

    > ... no
    >
    >> What's the default login/password linux gives at installation?

    > none, except for the one's you setup. you could boot-init
    > the shell and fix the password, but you have to know the
    > root password for that
    > .

    You don't need the password if you have console access. You don't need root
    to install the OS, do you?

    You do need to be careful with a machine. If you have no physical safety,
    all your complex passwords mean squat. Most businesses turn off CD/Floppy
    boots. password protect the motherboard and lock the case closed (and alarm
    the lock) to prevent any unauthorised access and make it easy to spot when
    the system has been physically tampered with.

+ Reply to Thread