Can GIMP handle a 600 meg graphic? - Help

This is a discussion on Can GIMP handle a 600 meg graphic? - Help ; Hello, I am trying to rotate a 586 Meg Graphic file. It is in the TIFF format. I'd also like to convert it to jpeg, if possible. I had a couple of smaller onew I have already done this too ...

  1. Can GIMP handle a 600 meg graphic?

    Hello,

    I am trying to rotate a 586 Meg Graphic file. It is in the TIFF format. I'd also
    like to convert it to jpeg, if possible.

    I had a couple of smaller onew I have already done this too using Win98. Seems
    With my system and software, Win98 won't do the larger ones.

    My system
    1Ghz PIII
    384 Meg RAM
    ASUS P3-BF
    120 Gig HD Win98
    30 Gig Libranet Linux
    ATI All in Wonder Pro (older 16Meg)

    It has other things but that should give you an idea.

    FWIW: First when I got the files my laptop (500MHz/64 Meg/10Gig) couldn't even
    open them to look at them with Win98. I was able to see them using Libranet,
    after a delay while it loaded.

    My man system above can open them with Win98 but not modify them. I only use
    Adobe PhotoDeluxe 2.0. I know I should upgrade but I want to move to Linux
    anyway, so I am resisting.

    Opening them with Linux is very slow. Actually even though I haven't timed them
    I believe it may be slower than Win98 to open. Lots of disk thrashing. Wouldn't
    let me shrink or rotate the photo. Gave me the message scratch disk is full.
    Recommend 50 Meg? I have a little more than 50 Meg available.

    I would like to rotate the photo 90 degrees. When I try and do that, I get an
    error. Something like trouble writing to tile area. The error gets repeated
    several hundred times. I started at 128Meg for the tile area but changed it to
    512 Meg just to see if it helped. I have also tried it with both a 256 Meg swap
    and a 512 Meg swap partiion. Nothing seems to make any difference. The program
    just quits. I am useing GIMP 1.2.5 I believe long with Libranet 2.8.1.

    The worst part about the error is when it happens the machine thinks it's
    running windows. No matter what I'm doing it keeps throwing these darn errors to
    the front of the screen. Geez I hate that about windows.

    I know most people aren't trying to work with such large files. I also know that
    1Ghz is not exactly state of the art. I also know that someone has done this
    using a 486. I can't prove it but it has to have been done.

    Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe give me some
    suggestions on working with large files using GIMP. Maybe I should be using a
    diff program???

    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

    BTW: I am probably going to install Slackware and FreeBSD in the next couple of
    days to try the same thing. And yes, I am on Win98 right now. I've installed
    Linux 3 time in the last 2 days to try diff things. I don't want to take the
    time to set up my newsreader to format it out. I'm off to get Slackware.

    Thanks again
    My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net

    www.cheap-land.com

  2. Re: Can GIMP handle a 600 meg graphic?

    "Steve" wrote in message

    > I am trying to rotate a 586 Meg Graphic file. It is in the TIFF
    > format. I'd also like to convert it to jpeg, if possible.

    So just put it on a CD, then you can rotate it as much and as often as you
    want. =B^)

    ImageMagick is what you want, with the "convert" utility. It's very easy to
    install and use, so I'll just refer you to
    http://imagemagick.sourceforge.net/

    tony

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  3. Re: Can GIMP handle a 600 meg graphic?

    Hello,

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:51:36 -0800, "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote:

    >"Steve" wrote in message
    >
    >> I am trying to rotate a 586 Meg Graphic file. It is in the TIFF
    >> format. I'd also like to convert it to jpeg, if possible.

    >So just put it on a CD, then you can rotate it as much and as often as you
    >want. =B^)

    Good answer. I like it. ;-)

    >ImageMagick is what you want, with the "convert" utility. It's very easy to
    >install and use, so I'll just refer you to
    >http://imagemagick.sourceforge.net/

    Thanks. I actually use Imagemagick almost every day through a script. It's on my
    web server. BTW: I didn't write the script. I was wondering if that'd work on
    this large of a file. I guess I was just thinking I should be able to use GIMP
    to edit it. Oh well. I'll give it a try.

    Thanks for the help.

    Steve
    My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net

    www.cheap-land.com

+ Reply to Thread