Error playing Xine DVD player on suse 8.2 - Help

This is a discussion on Error playing Xine DVD player on suse 8.2 - Help ; I installed Xine DVD player when it starts it gives me this error: -Xine engine error There is no input plugin available to handle DVD:/ May be MRL syntax is wrong or fire/stream source doesn't exist. Do I need some ...

  1. Error playing Xine DVD player on suse 8.2

    I installed Xine DVD player when it starts it gives me this error:

    -Xine engine error

    There is no input plugin available to handle DVD:/
    May be MRL syntax is wrong or fire/stream source doesn't exist.

    Do I need some plugins ? I also tried installing Mplayer but some
    dependency error showed up. Help please ! I am running suse 8.2
    professional, with ATI Radeon M6.

    Thanks in advanced.

  2. Re: Error playing Xine DVD player on suse 8.2

    [ excessive crossposting trimmed ]
    On 5 Nov 2003 22:09:36 -0800, Maredia, A staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I installed Xine DVD player when it starts it gives me this error:
    > There is no input plugin available to handle DVD:/
    > Do I need some plugins ?

    The error message certainly suggests that, no? Xine by itself can only
    play unencrypted DVDs. You need the xine-dvdnav plugin and libcss. I
    don't know whether these things exist for SuSE's version of Xine, but
    they're certainly not on your distro CDs. Google and ye shall find.
    (In Gentoo, just "emerge xine-dvdnav", and wait for it to finish
    compiling.)

    > I also tried installing Mplayer but some dependency error showed up.

    Exact error messages are almost required for resolving a problem like
    this. Anyway, mplayer has little to no DVD menu support right now, so
    it's not good for DVD playing. Great for everything else, though. (No
    dependency hell in Gentoo, just "emerge mplayer" and wait for it to
    finish compiling.)

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: Error playing Xine DVD player on suse 8.2

    I had a similar problem on Mandrake 9.1
    In the end I had to install the latest versions of the following libraries:
    libdvdcss
    libdvdnav-1.0

    These came with the software CD. I also needed
    xine-compat-plugins-0.9.13.11-mdk and libxine.0-0.9.13-11.mdk

    Xine now works (most of the time)
    I also managed to get the graphical version of mplayer (gmplayer) to
    work, it was included in my distribution software

    You can probably download the SUSE equivalents of these libraries
    Russ

    > I installed Xine DVD player when it starts it gives me this error:
    >
    > -Xine engine error
    >
    > There is no input plugin available to handle DVD:/
    > May be MRL syntax is wrong or fire/stream source doesn't exist.
    >
    > Do I need some plugins ? I also tried installing Mplayer but some
    > dependency error showed up. Help please ! I am running suse 8.2
    > professional, with ATI Radeon M6.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced.

+ Reply to Thread