I want to try Linux - Help

This is a discussion on I want to try Linux - Help ; Hi, I have an old Compaq Laptop on which I would like to run Linux to get familiar with it. However the problem is that this laptop does not have a CD-Rom drive. I do have a USB CD-Rom drive ...

  1. I want to try Linux

    Hi,

    I have an old Compaq Laptop on which I would like to run Linux to get
    familiar with it. However the problem is that this laptop does not
    have a CD-Rom drive. I do have a USB CD-Rom drive that I can use with
    it.

    So my question is:
    Can I start a Linux Installation with a floppy disk, somehow load the
    USB drivers to get CD-Rom support and then finish the installation?

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Please send me a reply directly at
    chetan.chothani@adaptiveresources.com

    Thanks,

    Chetan

  2. Re: I want to try Linux

    On Star Date Monday 03 Nov 2003 10:12 pm Chetan of the Starship Enterprise
    loged this message:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old Compaq Laptop on which I would like to run Linux to get
    > familiar with it. However the problem is that this laptop does not
    > have a CD-Rom drive. I do have a USB CD-Rom drive that I can use with
    > it.
    >
    > So my question is:
    > Can I start a Linux Installation with a floppy disk, somehow load the
    > USB drivers to get CD-Rom support and then finish the installation?
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Please send me a reply directly at
    > chetan.chothani@adaptiveresources.com
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chetan

    I'm not quite sure what might happen but have u tryed installing it directly
    from cd?

    I know in mandrake 9.1 u can load it on windows and it will reboot and start
    install it on boot up.
    But since your using usb cd rom, I don't know how linux will behave with
    this as I am new my self and always learning.

    Dark Angel
    --
    Please check out my site
    http://www.shrinetoaeris.myby.co.uk - Site

  3. Re: I want to try Linux

    On 3 Nov 2003 14:12:26 -0800, chetan.chothani@adaptiveresources.com (Chetan)
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an old Compaq Laptop on which I would like to run Linux to get
    >familiar with it. However the problem is that this laptop does not
    >have a CD-Rom drive. I do have a USB CD-Rom drive that I can use with
    >it.
    >
    >So my question is:
    >Can I start a Linux Installation with a floppy disk, somehow load the
    >USB drivers to get CD-Rom support and then finish the installation?
    >
    >Any help will be appreciated.

    Hello,

    Can you boot from the CDROM?

    You might check out:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=63339

    If you have a fast Internet connection you could always do a net install from
    floppies. I believe Debian needs 2 or 3.

    BTW: I don't know much about Linux so I had to cheat with google to get the
    above info.

    Steve
    My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net

    www.cheap-land.com

+ Reply to Thread