Can't cold boot??? - Help

This is a discussion on Can't cold boot??? - Help ; I've installed RH9 on a Dell 600SC server and updated all the packages. However, no matter what I do, I cannot get the server to boot from the hard disk on a cold boot. I chose the GRUB boot loader ...

  1. Can't cold boot???

    I've installed RH9 on a Dell 600SC server and updated all the
    packages. However, no matter what I do, I cannot get the server to
    boot from the hard disk on a cold boot. I chose the GRUB boot loader
    during the installation, and created a boot disk (thankfully), but no
    matter what I do, it will not find the hard disk on boot up. So, I
    booted from the floppy, got into the Lilo configuration utility under
    KDE, and set it to boot using Lilo instead of GRUB. When I warm boot,
    no problem, however, when I cold boot, it can't find the hard disks.
    What gives? Here's the contents of my lilo.conf file:

    boot="/dev/hda"
    prompt
    timeout="50"
    message=/boot/message
    root=/dev/hda2
    default=2.4.20-20.9
    linear

    image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9"
    label="2.4.20-20.9"
    root="/dev/hda2"
    read-only
    initrd="/boot/initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
    label="2.4.20-8"
    root=/dev/hda2
    read-only
    initrd="/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img"

    image=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
    label="Linux_Compiled"
    root=/dev/hda2
    read-only
    optional

    under the Storage Devices section, it has /dev/hda1 as the "/boot"
    partition and /dev/hda2 as "/" partition.

    the grub.conf file looks like this:

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
    file
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd0,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.9)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img

    I'm somewhat new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  2. Re: Can't cold boot???

    "Dave" wrote in message
    news:e1bc83be.0311030701.30a404ba@posting.google.c om

    > What gives? Here's the contents of my lilo.conf file:
    >
    > boot="/dev/hda"
    > prompt
    > timeout="50"
    > message=/boot/message
    > root=/dev/hda2
    > default=2.4.20-20.9
    > linear

    [...]

    Get rid of all those quote characters everywhere in /etc/lilo.conf; run the
    "lilo" command.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  3. Re: Can't cold boot???

    "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote in message news:<3fa68330_7@corp.newsgroups.com>...
    > "Dave" wrote in message
    > news:e1bc83be.0311030701.30a404ba@posting.google.c om
    >
    > > What gives? Here's the contents of my lilo.conf file:
    > >
    > > boot="/dev/hda"
    > > prompt
    > > timeout="50"
    > > message=/boot/message
    > > root=/dev/hda2
    > > default=2.4.20-20.9
    > > linear

    > [...]
    >
    > Get rid of all those quote characters everywhere in /etc/lilo.conf; run the
    > "lilo" command.

    No go. Still getting the same thing. I edited the lilo.conf file
    using the Control Center in KDE and rebooted. It came up no problem.
    Then I powered down and rebooted and I get the ol' "No boot device
    available" message. Any more ideas?

    Thanks,
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread