having trouble compiling and running w/ linux - Help

This is a discussion on having trouble compiling and running w/ linux - Help ; Hello, I am running RH8 with my Grub kernel. I am trying to compile a simple hello world program in C++ to be compiled and ran and am not sure if I am doint it right. I looked in various ...

  1. having trouble compiling and running w/ linux

    Hello,

    I am running RH8 with my Grub kernel. I am trying to compile a simple hello
    world program in C++ to be compiled and ran and am not sure if I am doint
    it right.

    I looked in various places for this info to do correctly.

    One result was to issue the command:
    gcc -o helloworld helloworld.cpp

    didn't work

    I searched further only to find that I need to link this to an object file
    that needs to be created in order for the program to execute properly.
    gcc -o helloworld helloworld.o

    and then to execute
    gcc -o helloworld helloworld.cpp

    With this procedure implemented, I get an error, don't remember exactly;
    however there are many errors that pertain to each file in the process of
    compile that generate the same " extra dependancy to "*.*" and I get no
    further results.

    I then tried the makefile option to execute the make command at the terminal
    prompt.

    my makefile looked like this;

    helloworld: helloworld.cc
    gcc -o helloworld helloworld.cc

    did I have the wrong extensions here in my make file?
    i was told by this method that no directives are included with the makefile.

    do I only have partially correct all of these procedures?
    What do I need to do to compile a program?

    Thanks

    KW

  2. Re: having trouble compiling and running w/ linux

    Hint #1: gcc is for compiling C programs; for C++ use g++
    Hint #2: Read a few books on the subject...

  3. Re: having trouble compiling and running w/ linux

    "kw" wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am running RH8 with my Grub kernel. I am trying to compile a simple hello
    > world program in C++ to be compiled and ran and am not sure if I am doint
    > it right.

    Have you tried looking for the answer using an internet search engine?

    http://freebooks.by.ru/view/RedHatLi...d/rhl6u301.htm

    Another good idea would be to pop into your local computer bookshop?

+ Reply to Thread