"man" displays strange characters - Help

This is a discussion on "man" displays strange characters - Help ; If you look here: http://www.yankeeboysoftware.com/Stuff/term.jpg you will see that I have some unusual characters being displayed under 'man'. What I don't understand is that I don't see them in vim, or on terminal app output like the listing from an ...

  1. "man" displays strange characters

    If you look here:

    http://www.yankeeboysoftware.com/Stuff/term.jpg

    you will see that I have some unusual characters being displayed under
    'man'.

    What I don't understand is that I don't see them in vim, or on
    terminal app output like the listing from an 'ls' command.

    This seems to be only related to 'man' using the terminal, but I can't
    find anything in the man man page that helps.

    I would be grateful for any assistance

    Thanks,

    Jack

  2. Re: "man" displays strange characters

    "Jack" wrote in message
    news:bbd64220.0311010919.785a8b2a@posting.google.c om

    > If you look here:
    > http://www.yankeeboysoftware.com/Stuff/term.jpg
    > you will see that I have some unusual characters being displayed under
    > 'man'.
    > What I don't understand is that I don't see them in vim, or on
    > terminal app output like the listing from an 'ls' command.
    > This seems to be only related to 'man' using the terminal, but I can't
    > find anything in the man man page that helps.
    > I would be grateful for any assistance

    This is related to your system language, which can be seen by typing
    "locale". I'm willing to bet that it will read "en_GB.utf8", when you will
    have better results with "en_GB".

    You can make the change in a current window with "export LANG=en_GB", or
    system wide by editing /etc/sysconfig/i18n or its equivalent on your distro.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  3. Re: "man" displays strange characters

    Actually I finally figured this out by reading another post regarding
    man.conf entries, although it looks like essentially the same
    solution.

    It looks like groff/troff need to be told to use UTF8.

+ Reply to Thread