Install on PowerMac 8600/300 Fails at libc6 - Help

This is a discussion on Install on PowerMac 8600/300 Fails at libc6 - Help ; Greetings All I like to think I am a fairly competent individual when it comes to install operating systems, but have hit a snag. This is my first attempt at installing Debian on an older Mac, so please bare with ...

  1. Install on PowerMac 8600/300 Fails at libc6

    Greetings All

    I like to think I am a fairly competent individual when it comes to
    install operating systems, but have hit a snag. This is my first
    attempt at installing Debian on an older Mac, so please bare with me.
    I've gotten most of the way through the process, portioning the disk
    as such:

    /dev/sda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    31.5k Partition Map

    /dev/sda2 Apple_Unix_SVR2 / 8000000 @ 64
    3.8GB Linux native

    /dev/sda3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 418752 @ 8000064 204.5MB
    Linux swap

    Block size=510, Number of Blocks=8418816
    Device Type=0X0, DeviceId=0X0

    It forced me to used mac-fdisk, I'd rather use cfdisk but I haven't
    found a viable way of doing that during the install process. I ran a
    bad block check to assure there are no issues with the disk itself.

    I have the Debian CD 1 in the drive and am booting from floppy.

    When I go to install the base system from cdrom, I get this during the
    validation process:

    File:/instmnt/pool/main/u/util-linux/bsdutils_2.11n-4_powerpc.deb was
    corrupt

    When I go to install via FTP I get this wile retrieving libc6:

    Couldn't download libc6

    And I get bumped back to the Main Menu.

    I've searched for answers (probably not as hard as I could of, butů)
    and tried different CD's/FTP sites to no avail. Ideas? Feel free to
    respond to this message or email me ideas at help@egames.com. Thanks!

  2. Re: Install on PowerMac 8600/300 Fails at libc6

    Never mind, I'm a tit.

    1. I never created a bootstrap partition so I wasn't really going
    anywhere fast with the whole process.

    2. I didn't bother to look at the target for install, it was aiming
    for /swap (why might be a matter for the writers of the install)
    instead of root which means it was running out space REAL frickin
    fast.

    duh on me.

    pfizur@egames.com (Philip Fizur) wrote in message news:...
    > Greetings All
    >
    > I like to think I am a fairly competent individual when it comes to
    > install operating systems, but have hit a snag. This is my first
    > attempt at installing Debian on an older Mac, so please bare with me.
    > I've gotten most of the way through the process, portioning the disk
    > as such:
    >
    > /dev/sda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    > 31.5k Partition Map
    >

    > /dev/sda2 Apple_Unix_SVR2 / 8000000 @ 64
    > 3.8GB Linux native
    >

    > /dev/sda3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 418752 @ 8000064 204.5MB
    > Linux swap
    >
    > Block size=510, Number of Blocks=8418816
    > Device Type=0X0, DeviceId=0X0
    >
    > It forced me to used mac-fdisk, I'd rather use cfdisk but I haven't
    > found a viable way of doing that during the install process. I ran a
    > bad block check to assure there are no issues with the disk itself.
    >
    > I have the Debian CD 1 in the drive and am booting from floppy.
    >
    > When I go to install the base system from cdrom, I get this during the
    > validation process:
    >
    > File:/instmnt/pool/main/u/util-linux/bsdutils_2.11n-4_powerpc.deb was
    > corrupt
    >
    > When I go to install via FTP I get this wile retrieving libc6:
    >
    > Couldn't download libc6
    >
    > And I get bumped back to the Main Menu.
    >
    > I've searched for answers (probably not as hard as I could of, but?)
    > and tried different CD's/FTP sites to no avail. Ideas? Feel free to
    > respond to this message or email me ideas at help@egames.com. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread