Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs - Help

This is a discussion on Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs - Help ; Hello, all. My friend has an Acer Aspire 5570z laptop. It was running Vista, in a way. (I did not consider it "running" Vista until we replaced the 512 megabyte RAM chip with a 1 gigabyte module.) Then one day ...

  1. Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs

    Hello, all.

    My friend has an Acer Aspire 5570z laptop. It was running Vista, in a
    way. (I did not consider it "running" Vista until we replaced the 512
    megabyte RAM chip with a 1 gigabyte module.) Then one day it got very
    slow and then got to the point where it just would not boot the OS.

    First thing we are doing is trying to rescue some files off of the
    drive. Mostly photos. Second thing is my friend would like to give Linux
    a go. So it is most important to rescue the files, but I would very much
    like to help her get Linux running on the machine.

    I have tried many Live CDs. Typically they boot into a splash screen and
    allow me to select an option from a menu. After making my selection, the
    CD makes it way along and then freezes. A few distros booted up to a
    point where they would show icons for each part of the system loaded and
    freeze on the second or third item. Two of them would boot into a desktop
    environment and then freeze up when any application was run or any window
    opened.

    The freezing is almost always accompanied by a fuzzy screen with rows of
    lines across them. The lines alternate between solid and dotted. The
    number, height, colour and spacing of the rows varies by quite a bit.

    System Rescue CD can boot into the command line. I am currently looking
    trying to use this to FTP or rsync (new territory for me, but lots of
    documentation on rsync in available) the files to another computer.
    System Rescue CD and Knoppix will boot into a desktop, but freeze and
    show the weird visual I described above on top of the desktop if an
    application or window is opened.

    The system is an Acer Aspire 5570z with the following specs claimed by
    the sticker on the case:

    Intel T2060 CPU
    14.1" WXGA LCD Screen
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 chip (during the attempt boot of one
    distro it said it was 945 chip)
    160 GB hard drive
    DVD dual layer burner
    802.11g wifi network adaptor

    It also has a wired ethernet port.

    I tried the Live CDs of the following distrubutions

    Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) 8.04
    Mepis 7.0
    Antix 6.5
    Mandriva One 2009
    PCLinuxOS 2007
    minime 2008
    Knoppix 5.1
    Vector Linux 5.9
    Puppy Linux 3.1
    Mint Linux v 5
    System Rescue CD 1.1.0

    I was able to fully boot the non-Linux free OS Syllable. It booted, but
    does not have much in the way of applications for it yet, so there did
    not seem to be anything that would help me. It would mount, but not write
    to my USB memory stick. It would not identify the network adaptor either.

    The world wide web has a billion or so page about getting the wireless
    networking abilities of this laptop working, and a huge number of pages
    about setting the resolution and even many on using a modem with the
    machine, but none describing my problem.

    So it must be possible to use a GNU/Linux operating system on this
    machine, but I have yet to be able to even boot into a Linux CD even
    after trying 10 distros using many different boot options on each one.

    I do not think I could have possibly tried every option, but I did boot
    with many different "VGA=xxx" options and power management off options as
    well.

    It would be so much easier to do the backups with a full blown, GUI
    included, OS running (and I have yet to establish that for sure I can
    make the CLI of System Rescue CD solve my backup issue although I am
    confident it will) and regardless I would like to be able to get my
    friend enjoying the benefits of Linux.

    So if anyone can provide me with some advice on the matter it would be
    most appreciated. A distro known to boot up and install on this machine,
    boot options that make one of the ones I tried work, etc, would be
    especially helpful.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:01:55 +0000, John McKenzie wrote:

> [...]
    > machine, but I have yet to be able to even boot into a Linux CD even
    > after trying 10 distros using many different boot options on each one.
    >

    > I do not think I could have possibly tried every option, but I did boot
    > with many different "VGA=xxx" options and power management off options
    > as well.
    >
    > It would be so much easier to do the backups with a full blown, GUI
    > included, OS running (and I have yet to establish that for sure I can
    > make the CLI of System Rescue CD solve my backup issue although I am
    > confident it will) and regardless I would like to be able to get my
    > friend enjoying the benefits of Linux.
    >
    > So if anyone can provide me with some advice on the matter it would be
    > most appreciated. A distro known to boot up and install on this machine,
    > boot options that make one of the ones I tried work, etc, would be

    * * *
    John,

    I recently used Puppy 4.0 dingo to access a Vista notebook's files.
    Puppy seemed to work, where other distros would not load... I was able
    to use the live CD and using a wired internet connection e-mailed the
    files that were needed urgently....

    She has since reinstalled Vista and it has crashed a second time, she is
    using her older XP notebook and gave up dreams of having a dependable
    fancy new Dell notebook...

    You tried puppy 3.1, but I believe 4.0 dingo has better hardware
    recognition... There is another release 4.1 that may be a better
    solution...

    JR

  3. Re: Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs

    JR;

    Thanks for the tip.

    I downloaded Puppy 4.1 and it was slightly worse in some ways and only
    slightly better in others. Looks like a good distro in general and
    automatically put icons on the desktop for the three windows partitions
    on the laptop which was nice. However it showed the same problems as
    before, just a little quicker now.

    This is very fustrating. All those posts about people trying to get the
    WiFi abilites of the Acer Aspire 5570z working must mean some people can
    get Linux to work on it and I cannot find a single distro that will
    really boot into a working state. (Ironically wireless networking is
    something that is kind of irrelevant in my situation.)

    Glad I learnt there is a new version of Puppy though. It so far came the
    closest to working.

  4. Re: Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs

    It turned out my problem was bad RAM. Replaced it, everything was fine.

    Wireless is acting weird under Ubuntu 8.04, but it is there.

  5. Re: Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:12:29 +0000, John McKenzie wrote:

    > JR;
    >
    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > I downloaded Puppy 4.1 and it was slightly worse in some ways and only
    > slightly better in others. Looks like a good distro in general and
    > automatically put icons on the desktop for the three windows partitions
    > on the laptop which was nice. However it showed the same problems as
    > before, just a little quicker now.
    >

    > This is very fustrating. All those posts about people trying to get the
    > WiFi abilites of the Acer Aspire 5570z working must mean some people can
    > get Linux to work on it and I cannot find a single distro that will
    > really boot into a working state. (Ironically wireless networking is
    > something that is kind of irrelevant in my situation.)
    >
    > Glad I learnt there is a new version of Puppy though. It so far came
    > the
    > closest to working.

    * * *

    Now I see that beta3 has been released... Warren has already skipped
    ahead to yet another kernel away from the one used in Debian Lenny
    (2.6.25 vs 2.6.27). i understand several teaters are looking at 2.6.27.1
    also... Seems mepis is going to get close to the bleeding edge... But i
    would almost bet if you have a look at the beta3 it will, include the
    latest wireless compatability...

    Suggest you download the beta3 and give it a try...
    then post here is you still do not have a configured wireless
    http://mepislovers.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

    JR the postman

  6. Re: Acer 5570z giving me trouble booting install CDs

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 06:55:00 +0000, John McKenzie wrote:

    > It turned out my problem was bad RAM. Replaced it, everything was fine.
    >
    > Wireless is acting weird under Ubuntu 8.04, but it is there.

    * * *
    John,

    I have tried Ubuntu Gnome several times, but it has never worked for me.
    My understanding there is no root pasword used in Ubuntu? I do not know
    enought about Ubuntu, there are several user group memebers that use it,
    and are always having trouble, but on-line there appear to be good number
    of users...

    I think any Linux, is good... I just downloaded slitaz-cooking again
    using deluge my bit torrent software. I had a disk, maybe i gave it
    away. I plugged in the old gateway found, and started surfing the web
    without a hard drive, in this computer that was discovered sitting on the
    curb yesterday.

    Tis supper fast surfing the web... A Linux distro download of 24 megs,
    sharing a router connection and working in a dicarded old computer,
    amazing simply amazing...

    JR the postman

+ Reply to Thread