Help with finding the best distro please! - Help

This is a discussion on Help with finding the best distro please! - Help ; Many years ago, I became exhausted with command line Dos. I moved to Macs because I wanted to work with an easier, more user friendly system where I did not have to learn Apple script or terminal linux or any ...

  1. Help with finding the best distro please!

    Many years ago, I became exhausted with command line Dos.
    I moved to Macs because I wanted to work with an easier, more user
    friendly system where I did not have to learn Apple script or terminal
    linux or any command line language.

    I'm looking for the best Linux distro in terms of user interface that
    requires none or a minimal amount of command line work. One that has a
    lot of working applications including a good web browser, office suite,
    email, games, programs that will playback music (mp3, lossless, ogg,
    MIDi, etc.,) no hassle drivers for all-in-one printers, will accept
    external usb hard drives and DVD drives, external usb modem - basically
    as complete an OS as possible without having to hunt down a lot of
    drivers and hack the system to work. I had enough of that with the
    Amiga. I will most likely be running this on a PC laptop without any
    other OS installed. I don't like crowds on a single computer when it
    comes to op systems. And I want absolutely nothing to do with virus,
    malware and adware protection programs - really not necessary on the Mac
    and, AFAIK, not on linux either.

    Comments and suggestions please - thank you.

  2. Re: Help with finding the best distro please!

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 01:36:34 -0500, seeker wrote:

    > Many years ago, I became exhausted with command line Dos. I moved to
    > Macs because I wanted to work with an easier, more user friendly system
    > where I did not have to learn Apple script or terminal linux or any
    > command line language.
    >
    > I'm looking for the best Linux distro in terms of user interface that
    > requires none or a minimal amount of command line work. One that has a
    > lot of working applications including a good web browser, office suite,
    > email, games, programs that will playback music (mp3, lossless, ogg,
    > MIDi, etc.,) no hassle drivers for all-in-one printers, will accept
    > external usb hard drives and DVD drives, external usb modem - basically
    > as complete an OS as possible without having to hunt down a lot of
    > drivers and hack the system to work. I had enough of that with the
    > Amiga. I will most likely be running this on a PC laptop without any
    > other OS installed. I don't like crowds on a single computer when it
    > comes to op systems. And I want absolutely nothing to do with virus,
    > malware and adware protection programs - really not necessary on the Mac
    > and, AFAIK, not on linux either.
    >

    > Comments and suggestions please - thank you.

    * * *
    seeker,

    I have only used Linux for a year a few months on a modern desktop
    hardware... I have tried KDE Mint, PCLinouxOS, AntiX, Kubunta and
    settled upon Mepis. I liked the simplicity of the Synaptic software
    upgrade system, and have toyed with apt-get...

    I am running both a 32 & 64-bit mepis7, I hate using a CLI as my computer
    has a mouse attached. I am a computer janitor, clean them up to put
    groceries on the table, & I use the Mepis 32 & 64-bit Live CD as a simple
    test of computer hardware.

    I always try the default boot to see if it will load, then drop back to
    the vesa boot option if there is a video card, or integrated video that
    can not be recognized.

    Mepis is not the most propeller edged distro, but it is stable based upon
    the vast Debian software repositories. There are a great many software
    upgrades that have been back ported to run on Mepis 7 while Mepis 8
    development is under way... Also being Debian based you can upgrade as
    you wish...

    I have read that some notebook computers do not run Linux as well as the
    Microsoft O/S, because the latest hardware in some systems are cutting
    edge and there are no drivers or it requires the latest propeller distro
    that breaks often... My Gateway notebook is a few years old, and runs
    Mepis 32-bit with all the functions I know about...

    HP printers seem to have the most Linux support, I use a HP laser without
    any problems... But have been looking with fondness at a flatbed scanner
    recently, so may go back to a inkjet for color/scanner abilities.

    I Use a computer based text only e-mail client "Kmail" and forward e-
    mails often. Because of that I use an anti-virus software to verify the
    e-mail I am sending on is not infected. I receive an infected e-mail
    from my window on-line contacts almost daily...

    I use the Open office org suite... I also install this on most Windows
    computers I work on, replacing a hacked pirated version of Microsoft
    Office that can not be updated... Gimp, is also another candiate to
    replace a older pirated adobe photoshop... inkscape to replace a older
    Illustrator, and
    Scribus for Desktop publishing.

    I use K3b/amarok , for my personal use of music, and I do download using
    deluge, I am seeding AntiX-7.5 now...

    Download a mepis7 live CD, take it for a trial run then ask your
    questions in the mepislovers forums before installing the operating
    system... or if you have not purchased your laptop, you can ask about
    others running the ones you are looking towards...

    Note: I enjoyed my Amiga for a long while after going to windows 95...

    JR the postman

  3. Re: Help with finding the best distro please!

    Seeker:

    While there is no one best distro, I will make a suggestion.

    Use Mepis. They have a Live CD so you can try it out, and I just found
    it to be a great all around distro and have yet to communicate with
    anyone who specifically dislikes it. Easy to use, and great with hardware
    with one major exception. It does not work with series 8 Nvidia Graphics
    cards. If you have one of those, sorry. perhaps with the new driver
    released recently and someone could make them work together.

    I have one of those cards and eventually settled on Ubuntu. I know it is
    a cliche, most popular distro and all, but I was convinced to try it and
    am liking it. This is saying allot considering my intense hatred of it
    the first time I tried quite some years ago.

    When I had an Nvidia 6800 card though my Mepis experience beat the
    current positive Ubuntu one.

    Mepis took a few minutes to set-up the graphics driver, codecs etc, but
    provided facilities to easily do this. My network printer was working
    within 90 seconds, including the time it took to walk to the printer and
    grab the test print. Same printer took more than 30 minutes in Windows to
    get working, so all in all Mepis was ahead in terms of what one had to do
    with upon initial installation.

    The big thing with Mepis is that it has a nice manual dropped on the
    desktop during installation, the website has a "quick fixes" section
    (http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Quick_Fixes) and it contains some
    specialized configuration utilities called Mepis Assistants. These
    assistants got the 3D graphics card drivers and the networking up and
    running for me with very little effort. Reading the quick fixes page
    meant only a few minutes of following good quality step by step
    instructions were necessary to take care of common concerns.

    So yeah, I say try Mepis.

    BTW, I never once, ever, had to install a driver for a piece of Amiga
    hardware to get it to work until well after Commodore went under. Aminet
    meant no hunting for software either.

+ Reply to Thread