help with GRUB - Help

This is a discussion on help with GRUB - Help ; Just installed Ubuntu on a separate drive and the first time I rebooted I got a "menu" where I could select between Ubuntu or Windows XP. After shutting down, I restarted later and the machine tries to boot up but ...

  1. help with GRUB

    Just installed Ubuntu on a separate drive and the first time I rebooted
    I got a "menu" where I could select between Ubuntu or Windows XP. After
    shutting down, I restarted later and the machine tries to boot up but
    gets to the point where "Loading GRUB Stage 1.5" comes up and shortly
    after the machine reboots again - it continues in this loop. I can't
    get to Windows or Ubuntu because the "menu" doesn't ever come up. How
    can I get GRUB deleted so that I can boot into Windows without having to
    completely reinstall windows again? I've tried Windows XP recovery
    booting from the CD rom and the drive where Windows is installed has
    been made a dynamic drive, so it shows up as a ? and can't be accessed.
    This is a real flub and enough to make me forget Linux if I can't run
    both operating systems on one computer with each OS installed on a
    different hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: help with GRUB

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:53:35 -0500, resolved wrote:

    > Just installed Ubuntu on a separate drive and the first time I rebooted
    > I got a "menu" where I could select between Ubuntu or Windows XP. After
    > shutting down, I restarted later and the machine tries to boot up but
    > gets to the point where "Loading GRUB Stage 1.5" comes up and shortly
    > after the machine reboots again - it continues in this loop. I can't
    > get to Windows or Ubuntu because the "menu" doesn't ever come up. How
    > can I get GRUB deleted so that I can boot into Windows without having to
    > completely reinstall windows again? I've tried Windows XP recovery
    > booting from the CD rom and the drive where Windows is installed has
    > been made a dynamic drive, so it shows up as a ? and can't be accessed.
    > This is a real flub and enough to make me forget Linux if I can't run
    > both operating systems on one computer with each OS installed on a
    > different hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

    * * *
    resolved,

    Sorry to have replied so long after you have posted... I recently
    located this Newsgroup from a linux search on Google...

    Here is a weblink, that someone should have posted for you back in May
    when you asked for assistance...

    http://apcmag.com/
    how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm

    JR the postman

  3. Re: help with GRUB

    In article <10bfk.18779$3q7.8633@newsfe15.lga>,
    JR the Postman wrote:

    > http://apcmag.com/

    Thanks for the link. I just tabled linux for a while. Waiting for the
    latest Ubuntu distro and may install it on a PC laptop solo - without
    any other OS on it.

+ Reply to Thread