TELNET client. How? (new to Linux). - Help

This is a discussion on TELNET client. How? (new to Linux). - Help ; Hello everyone, This is my first post to this group, so please be patient with me. I have bought recently an "ASUS eeePC 701" computer with Xanros Linux installed. For reasons not clear to me, the distributors do not provide ...

  1. TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    Hello everyone,

    This is my first post to this group, so please be patient with me.

    I have bought recently an "ASUS eeePC 701" computer with Xanros Linux
    installed. For reasons not clear to me, the distributors do not provide
    for administrator level access, by refusing to disclose the required
    password.

    This computer does not provide FTP and TELNET clients as standard and
    the distributors provide no support in this regard.

    I have managed to download and install successfully a fully featured FTP
    client as a Mozilla fire-fox ad-on but not a TELNET client.

    I want -while connected to the internet- to telnet to my SHELL account
    in a remote machine.

    By not having administrator's access, I cannot use apt-get install telnet.

    Regards,
    George.
    (Remove xxx from my e-mail address to reply by e-mail.)

  2. Re: TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    George Nole writes:

    > I have bought recently an "ASUS eeePC 701" computer with Xanros Linux
    > installed. For reasons not clear to me, the distributors do not
    > provide for administrator level access, by refusing to disclose the
    > required password.

    Have you seen this?

    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...c-review.ars/5

    It looks like you should be able to type Ctrl+Alt+T to get a terminal.
    Then, the "sudo" command can be used to run things with administrator
    access. It may be as simple as doing:

    sudo apt-get install telnet-ssl

    if the "telnet-ssl" package is available in the ASUS repository.
    Then, you can just run telnet from the terminal (as a normal user):

    telnet the.host.you.want.com

    Otherwise, this command:

    apt-cache search telnet

    will show packages in the ASUS repository that match the search term
    "telnet", and you might be able to find something useful there. The
    command "apt-cache show package-name-here" will give you a larger
    description of a package.

    SSH might be a better choice, though. See if the "kdessh" package can
    be installed:

    sudo apt-get install kdessh

    and you'll have a graphical SSH client you can use (by running
    "kdessh" from the command line or using one of the techniques
    mentioned in the above link to enable a Start menu).

    It's also possible a command-line SSH client is already installed.
    So, try running:

    ssh the.host.you.want.com

    or use:

    sudo apt-get install openssh-client

    to install the usual command-line "ssh" program if "ssh" doesn't seem
    to be available.

    --
    Kevin

  3. Re: TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , George Nole wrote:

    >This is my first post to this group, so please be patient with me.

    And I guess you didn't look at the previous posts to the group, or you
    would have noted your post is the 11th article posted so far this year.
    This newsgroup was replaced in December of 1994 with the group
    'comp.os.linux.misc' which is far more active (and somewhat infested
    now with trolls and spammers). A more appropriate newsgroup would be
    comp.os.linux.setup which averages 14 articles a day.

    >I have bought recently an "ASUS eeePC 701" computer with Xanros Linux
    >installed.

    I suspect you really mean Xandros Linux, but OK

    >For reasons not clear to me, the distributors do not provide for
    >administrator level access, by refusing to disclose the required
    >password.

    Xandros Linux is another of the many 'beginner' Linux distributions.
    The 'root' user is dangerous for beginners, as the system believes
    that this user knows exactly what he is doing, so there are no
    safety checks. For nearly all tasks, the 'power' of the root
    account is not only not needed, but not wanted. You probably have
    limited root access using the 'su' or 'sudo' account. This is
    intentional, as it tends to limit the damage that can be done. As
    an example (DO NOT TRY THIS), if you as a user ran the command

    rm -Rf /

    you would get tons of error messages about not having permission
    to muck with the system files. Eventually, the command would reach
    your home directory, and remove all the files there. This would be
    a major problem for you, but if you ran the same command as root,
    you would delete all of the files on the system, leaving it in a
    useless condition. For perspective, I was using UNIX for six months
    before I even learned who this 'root' user was, and it was six months
    MORE before I got what was the equivalent of 'su' access to a limited
    set of commands. I was very nervous about using those commands, because
    I was sure I was going to typ0 something, and bring the system crashing
    down about me - and then discover the other users running up and down
    the hallways looking for me with torches and pitchforks.

    >This computer does not provide FTP and TELNET clients as standard and
    >the distributors provide no support in this regard.

    FTP missing is a bit of a surprise - although it is not a required
    command. (By the way, watch the capitalization - *nix is case
    sensitive, and both 'ftp' and 'telnet' are lower case.) Are you sure
    it's not in /usr/bin ?

    [compton ~]$ which ftp
    /usr/bin/ftp
    [compton ~]$ whereis ftp
    ftp: /usr/bin/ftp /usr/man/man1/ftp.1
    [compton ~]$

    As for 'telnet' that is more understandable. Telnet is an ancient
    service (first specs date from 1971, while the _current_ specification
    is dated May 1983), and is totally lacking in security. As such, just
    about everyone knows not to try to use it. The reason is that it passes
    everything including your username and password over the wire as clear
    text - trivial to capture with a packet sniffer.

    None the less, 'telnet' may be in the same directory as ftp. Development
    of the telnet client stopped 8 years ago, but the package you are looking
    for is telnet-0.17.

    >I have managed to download and install successfully a fully featured FTP
    >client as a Mozilla fire-fox ad-on but not a TELNET client.

    Sorry, I don't use a browser as a front end. I rarely even use a browser
    as complicated/over-featured as Firefox, and using ftp or telnet directly
    is much faster and less of a security risk.

    >I want -while connected to the internet- to telnet to my SHELL account
    >in a remote machine.

    That's REALLY not recommended - the modern replacement for telnet is ssh
    and I'd be surprised if that isn't included in your distribution.

    >By not having administrator's access, I cannot use apt-get install telnet.

    I (obviously) don't use Xandros, but understand that such access is made
    using the 'sudo' command. If you are using some GUI desktop, they may
    have their own front-end (helper) such as 'kdesu' in KDE, and 'gksudo'
    in GNOME. 'su' is probably installed, but not usable without the root
    password.

    [compton ~]$ whatis su sudo
    su (1) - run a shell with substitute user and group IDs
    sudo (8) - execute a command as another user
    [compton ~]$

    >Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

    I don't believe there is an English language newsgroup for Xandros (there
    is a 'alt.fr.os.xandros' which is probably in French), but as Xandros is
    based on Debian, you may have some luck in a Debian forum or newsgroup,
    or even in the Ubuntu newsgroup. See if your server carries the groups
    'alt.os.linux.debian' and/or 'alt.os.linux.ubuntu'.

    Old guy

  4. Re: TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:33:17 -0500, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >You probably have
    >limited root access using the 'su' or 'sudo' account.

    Not su, because you need the root password for that. However, a
    little googlemancy shows that

    sudo -i

    opens a bash shell as root, which gives you what you need.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  5. Re: TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    Geez Joe, did you fail to read the rest of the post? As where I wrote:

    ]]I (obviously) don't use Xandros, but understand that such access is made
    ]]using the 'sudo' command. If you are using some GUI desktop, they may
    ]]have their own front-end (helper) such as 'kdesu' in KDE, and 'gksudo'
    ]]in GNOME. 'su' is probably installed, but not usable without the root
    ]]password.

    Hmmm

    Old guy

  6. Re: TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:42:34 -0500, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >Geez Joe, did you fail to read the rest of the post?

    Actually, I did miss that. Thanx. It later occured to me that a
    little bit of guru magic at boot time would probably get you either a
    root password, or at least, an account with root privileges. Of
    course, if you know enough to do that, you probably wouldn't be using
    that distro.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    , Joe Zeff wrote:

    >Actually, I did miss that. Thanx. It later occured to me that a
    >little bit of guru magic at boot time would probably get you either a
    >root password, or at least, an account with root privileges. Of
    >course, if you know enough to do that, you probably wouldn't be using
    >that distro.

    Actually, the usual solution with this type of crippled system is
    to use the su/sudo/kdesu/gksudo tool to set the root password. But
    again, this implies a somewhat higher knowledge level.

    Old guy

  8. Re: TELNET client. How? (new to Linux).

    Thank you all. I have not tried anything yet.

    I will read the comp.os.linux.misc and comp.os.linux.setup
    as suggested.

    Regards,
    George.

+ Reply to Thread