Is anybody using lynx? - Help

This is a discussion on Is anybody using lynx? - Help ; I'm running lynx under Windows, with cygwin, but would like to discuss it generally....

  1. Is anybody using lynx?

    I'm running lynx under Windows, with cygwin, but would like to discuss
    it generally.

  2. Re: Is anybody using lynx?

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Marshall Price wrote:

    >I'm running lynx under Windows, with cygwin, but would like to discuss
    >it generally.

    On the 15th of each month, there is a posting to the Usenet newsgroups
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc with the
    subject "List of Big Eight Newsgroups".

    [compton ~]$ zgrep www.brows big.8.list.12.15.07.gz
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.mac Web browsers for the Macintosh platform.
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc Web browsers for other platforms.
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.ms-windows Web browsers for MS Windows.
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x Web browsers for the X-Window system.
    [compton ~]$

    You'd probably have better luck in one of those groups. Depending on
    your news server, you _may_ also find two other non-standard groups
    named "alive.internet.www.browsers.lynx" and "cern.lynx" that may be
    useful. This group ("comp.os.linux.help") is not widely used, having
    been replaced by comp.os.linux.misc in December 1994.

    While I do use 'lynx', I do so under Linux, and have NO idea how it
    may or may not work using cygwin - I got rid of windoze 15 years ago
    as I have no need of it.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Is anybody using lynx?

    I do not use it every day, but I love Lynx. Now and then I use it for
    various things. Miss the days when it was pretty much the standard web
    browser. Not that I used the web much back then. :-)

  4. Re: Is anybody using lynx?

    Ahh yes. I like elinks these days when I need a text browser but by the
    time I get everything hacked up the way I like it it closely resembles
    lynx. Terminals are very useful things whatever people want to tell
    you. If you just want to search for something and you don't care about
    all this stupid javascript and interactive stuff then nothing is better
    than a good textmode browser. Too often people don't use commandline
    applications because they don't look nice! Bleh! It's not what it looks
    like that matters, it's whether it does the job you wanted. I always
    have a terminal window open for a reason. I'd not use a GUI at all if I
    thought I could still get away with it. When you're doing things
    remotely over SSH as I do a lot then elinks or lynx and other tools from
    a good shell are your best friend.

  5. Re: Is anybody using lynx?

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:48:38 GMT, davros@REMOVE.accesscable.net wrote:

    >I do not use it every day, but I love Lynx. Now and then I use it for
    >various things. Miss the days when it was pretty much the standard web
    >browser. Not that I used the web much back then. :-)

    My dad still uses it. I don't mention it, because then I have to hear a
    lecture about the good old days before all these dad-blamed images clogged
    everything up.

+ Reply to Thread