fstab screwup - Help

This is a discussion on fstab screwup - Help ; i am trying to edit fstab after the system balks at rebooting. error message shows that there is a "LABEL= " error in fstab. I was moving /home and put in that LABEL command. Anyway, I've booted from the Fedora ...

  1. fstab screwup

    i am trying to edit fstab after the system balks at rebooting. error
    message shows that there is a "LABEL= " error in fstab. I was moving
    /home and put in that LABEL command.

    Anyway, I've booted from the Fedora LiveCD with a load into RAM. I need
    to edit the fstab or at least revert to the fstab~. I've tried rm fstab
    and rename fstab~ fstab but the dialog says they are read only. When I
    do "edit fstab" from command line I get a not found error. I think this
    is not finding a command line editor?

    I know there is an easy way out of this. I am posting from a Windows
    machine which shows how desperate I am. Got to get the system back up
    by this afternoon.

    Regards,

    Dave

  2. Re: fstab screwup

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > i am trying to edit fstab after the system balks at rebooting. error
    > message shows that there is a "LABEL= " error in fstab. I was moving
    > /home and put in that LABEL command.
    >
    > Anyway, I've booted from the Fedora LiveCD with a load into RAM. I need
    > to edit the fstab or at least revert to the fstab~. I've tried rm fstab
    > and rename fstab~ fstab but the dialog says they are read only. When I
    > do "edit fstab" from command line I get a not found error. I think this
    > is not finding a command line editor?
    >
    > I know there is an easy way out of this. I am posting from a Windows
    > machine which shows how desperate I am. Got to get the system back up
    > by this afternoon.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave

    Try using sudo gedit/etc/fstab from the commandline.

  3. Re: fstab screwup

    Martin van den Brink wrote:
    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >> i am trying to edit fstab after the system balks at rebooting. error
    >> message shows that there is a "LABEL= " error in fstab. I was moving
    >> /home and put in that LABEL command.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I've booted from the Fedora LiveCD with a load into RAM. I
    >> need to edit the fstab or at least revert to the fstab~. I've tried
    >> rm fstab and rename fstab~ fstab but the dialog says they are read
    >> only. When I do "edit fstab" from command line I get a not found
    >> error. I think this is not finding a command line editor?
    >>
    >> I know there is an easy way out of this. I am posting from a Windows
    >> machine which shows how desperate I am. Got to get the system back up
    >> by this afternoon.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Try using sudo gedit/etc/fstab from the commandline.

    Sorry that should be sudo gedit /etc/fstab.
    Note the space between the gedit part and /etc/fstab.

  4. Re: fstab screwup

    Martin van den Brink wrote:
    > Martin van den Brink wrote:
    >> CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >>> i am trying to edit fstab after the system balks at rebooting. error
    >>> message shows that there is a "LABEL= " error in fstab. I was moving
    >>> /home and put in that LABEL command.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I've booted from the Fedora LiveCD with a load into RAM. I
    >>> need to edit the fstab or at least revert to the fstab~. I've tried
    >>> rm fstab and rename fstab~ fstab but the dialog says they are read
    >>> only. When I do "edit fstab" from command line I get a not found
    >>> error. I think this is not finding a command line editor?
    >>>
    >>> I know there is an easy way out of this. I am posting from a Windows
    >>> machine which shows how desperate I am. Got to get the system back
    >>> up by this afternoon.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    >> Try using sudo gedit/etc/fstab from the commandline.

    > Sorry that should be sudo gedit /etc/fstab.
    > Note the space between the gedit part and /etc/fstab.

    Sorry, it tells me gedit can't start because X can't strt. edit doesn't
    work either -- there are evidently no command line editors existing on
    the system....

    I tried chown and chmod but the message is "read only file system".

    This is frustrating. I thought that by using the LiveCD Fedora I would
    be able to mount /hda, /hdc, /hdd and move along with restoration.

    Something doesn't feel right. I am doing something wrong but do not
    know what.

    Thanks for the help,

    Dave

  5. Re: fstab screwup

    CWO4 Dave Mann writes:

    > Martin van den Brink wrote:
    > > Martin van den Brink wrote:

    > >> Try using sudo gedit/etc/fstab from the commandline.

    > > Sorry that should be sudo gedit /etc/fstab.
    > > Note the space between the gedit part and /etc/fstab.

    Disclaimer: I don't have a Fedora LiveCD, so I don't know exactly what
    your environment is.

    > Sorry, it tells me gedit can't start because X can't strt. edit
    > doesn't work either -- there are evidently no command line editors
    > existing on the system....

    X can't start? Doesn't X start when you boot your LiveCD? Exactly
    what is the error message?

    Are you sure you have "no command line editors"? Have you tried "vi"?

    > I tried chown and chmod but the message is "read only file system".
    >
    > This is frustrating. I thought that by using the LiveCD Fedora I
    > would be able to mount /hda, /hdc, /hdd and move along with
    > restoration.

    Wait a second. You're trying to edit /etc/fstab, but you haven't
    mounted the root file system from your hard drive yet? Where do you
    think /etc/fstab is? [Try typing "df /etc/fstab". I think you'll
    find that the file you've been trying to edit is on the CD, which has a
    "read only file system".]

    > Something doesn't feel right. I am doing something wrong but do not
    > know what.

    You have to mount the root file system from your hard drive first. Do
    you know which partition it's on?

    I'll assume for now that it's on /dev/hda1 and that it's of type "ext3".
    Then you can try:

    mkdir -p /mnt/root # This creates a mount point
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/root # This mounts the file system

    Now you can edit "/mnt/root/etc/fstab". (Assuming that you have found
    a text editor by now.)

    If you haven't found a text editor, then you can run one off the hard
    drive. This can be done manually by editing your PATH and potentially
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables to make sure that the LiveCD can find
    everything it needs. Another possibility would be to use "chroot /mnt/root"
    which would set things up for that one shell so that "/" is the root
    file system on the disk. You could then use a text editor you're
    familiar with to edit /etc/fstab. I'm not going into these two
    options in much detail, because hopefully you won't need either of them.

    > Thanks for the help,

    Good luck.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  6. Re: fstab screwup

    hemphill@hemphills.net wrote:
    > CWO4 Dave Mann writes:
    >
    >> Martin van den Brink wrote:

    >>> Sorry that should be sudo gedit /etc/fstab.
    >>> Note the space between the gedit part and /etc/fstab.

    > Disclaimer: I don't have a Fedora LiveCD, so I don't know exactly what
    > your environment is.
    >
    >> Sorry, it tells me gedit can't start because X can't strt. edit
    >> doesn't work either -- there are evidently no command line editors
    >> existing on the system....

    > X can't start? Doesn't X start when you boot your LiveCD? Exactly
    > what is the error message?
    >
    > Are you sure you have "no command line editors"? Have you tried "vi"?
    >
    >> I tried chown and chmod but the message is "read only file system".
    >>
    >> This is frustrating. I thought that by using the LiveCD Fedora I
    >> would be able to mount /hda, /hdc, /hdd and move along with
    >> restoration.

    > Wait a second. You're trying to edit /etc/fstab, but you haven't
    > mounted the root file system from your hard drive yet? Where do you
    > think /etc/fstab is? [Try typing "df /etc/fstab". I think you'll
    > find that the file you've been trying to edit is on the CD, which has a
    > "read only file system".]
    >
    >> Something doesn't feel right. I am doing something wrong but do not
    >> know what.

    > You have to mount the root file system from your hard drive first. Do
    > you know which partition it's on?
    >
    > I'll assume for now that it's on /dev/hda1 and that it's of type "ext3".
    > Then you can try:
    >
    > mkdir -p /mnt/root # This creates a mount point
    > mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/root # This mounts the file system
    >
    > Now you can edit "/mnt/root/etc/fstab". (Assuming that you have found
    > a text editor by now.)
    >
    > If you haven't found a text editor, then you can run one off the hard
    > drive. This can be done manually by editing your PATH and potentially
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables to make sure that the LiveCD can find
    > everything it needs. Another possibility would be to use "chroot /mnt/root"
    > which would set things up for that one shell so that "/" is the root
    > file system on the disk. You could then use a text editor you're
    > familiar with to edit /etc/fstab. I'm not going into these two
    > options in much detail, because hopefully you won't need either of them.
    >
    >> Thanks for the help,

    > Good luck.
    >
    > Scott

    I fixed it. I used the distro dvd which I burned and did a system
    rescue. then when the system mounted I went to /mnt/sysimage, found
    fstab and fstab~ and swapped them around.

    Fixed.

    Thanks for the help you all!!!

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread