Boot error - Help

This is a discussion on Boot error - Help ; fc7 test 2 downloaded and burned to dvd. Cannot boot. hda is WindowsXP, hdb is FC6. Grub provides choice of booting either. Can I add /dev/cdrom to grub to boot and will it find FC6 and upgrade? Have disabled bios ...

  1. Boot error

    fc7 test 2 downloaded and burned to dvd. Cannot boot. hda is
    WindowsXP, hdb is FC6. Grub provides choice of booting either. Can I
    add /dev/cdrom to grub to boot and will it find FC6 and upgrade? Have
    disabled bios to ONLY boot from cdrom but grub interferes as expected. Tnx

  2. Re: Boot error

    Bruce Barbour wrote:
    > fc7 test 2 downloaded and burned to dvd. Cannot boot. hda is
    > WindowsXP, hdb is FC6. Grub provides choice of booting either. Can I
    > add /dev/cdrom to grub to boot and will it find FC6 and upgrade? Have
    > disabled bios to ONLY boot from cdrom but grub interferes as
    > expected. Tnx

    Thanks, I burned it with Nero, an old version and may have selected
    wrong type action. Oddly, icon of disk shows up on desktop and has
    another smaller icon superimposed on it of a movie film. I did download
    the iso dvd image and sh1ashum was perfect but that was misleading, I
    guess. Tnx, I'll re-do
    Well I am grateful for the advice guys. I learn from my mistakes
    through you. I re-burned a dvd using the iso.image and lo and behold,
    it booted perfectly and installed with no flaws. Thanks again. Where
    would we be without these newsgroups, eh?

  3. Re: Boot error

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:17:47 GMT, Bruce Barbour
    wrote:

    > Have
    >disabled bios to ONLY boot from cdrom but grub interferes as expected.

    Probably a bad burn in that case; try it on a different box, just to
    see if it boots. If BIOS is set to boot *only* from cdrom, grub
    shouldn't even start if the CD's OK.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  4. Re: Boot error

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 05:35:49 GMT, Bruce Barbour
    wrote:

    >Thanks, I burned it with Nero, an old version and may have selected
    >wrong type action.

    I tried burning a set of FC ISOs with Nero through Windows, but it
    kept putting the ISO on the CD *as a file*, instead of the way it
    should. I had to do the burn in Linux to get it right, and haven't
    used Nero for anything since.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns