Using a USB cable modem - Help

This is a discussion on Using a USB cable modem - Help ; A friend of mine wants to use Linux on his computer, which was formerly running Windows XP. His cable modem, provided by wannado is USB only, and does not have an RJ45 socket. Suppose he wants to connect a router ...

  1. Using a USB cable modem

    A friend of mine wants to use Linux on his computer, which was formerly
    running Windows XP.

    His cable modem, provided by wannado is USB only, and does not have an RJ45
    socket.

    Suppose he wants to connect a router providing NAT translation between the Linux box
    and the cable modem.

    I have a router that he can use, but it has RJ45 connectors.

    Is it possible to get an adapter that will allow the RJ45 network connector
    from the router to connect to the USB socket on the cable modem, or will he
    have to get a special USB router?

    Will all USB devices work with Linux? I read somewhere that all USB devices
    have integral drivers, so can connect to any machine, without the need to
    install additional drivers. Is this true?

    I don't use USB much here, so I have no experience of this.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: Using a USB cable modem

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:03:39 GMT, markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com
    (Mark Hobley) wrote:

    >Will all USB devices work with Linux? I read somewhere that all USB devices
    >have integral drivers, so can connect to any machine, without the need to
    >install additional drivers. Is this true?

    Don't know about the rest, but I know this isn't true. You need to
    download and install special drivers for USB thumb drives in Win98/Me,
    but with 2k and "up" the drivers are included with the OS. As far as
    the adapter, there's probably one somewhere and if not, a hardware
    hacker should be able to slap one together.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: Using a USB cable modem

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:03:39 GMT, markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com
    > (Mark Hobley) wrote:
    >
    >> Will all USB devices work with Linux? I read somewhere that all USB devices
    >> have integral drivers, so can connect to any machine, without the need to
    >> install additional drivers. Is this true?

    > Don't know about the rest, but I know this isn't true. You need to
    > download and install special drivers for USB thumb drives in Win98/Me,
    > but with 2k and "up" the drivers are included with the OS. As far as
    > the adapter, there's probably one somewhere and if not, a hardware
    > hacker should be able to slap one together.

    Maybe you should get yourself a version of knoppix,attach the usb modem
    to the pc and boot with knoppix in the cd-drive,this should give a
    chance to see if that usb-modem is recognized in linux.

+ Reply to Thread