strange goings on after FC5->FC6 upgrade - Help

This is a discussion on strange goings on after FC5->FC6 upgrade - Help ; Hi. After doing a FC5->FC6 upgrade, I've noticed the following happening consistently: $ xpdf foo.pdf XtUngrabButton(drawArea,3,0) Warning: Attempt to remove nonexistent passive grab as well as $ ooffice foo.doc libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b I ...

  1. strange goings on after FC5->FC6 upgrade

    Hi.

    After doing a FC5->FC6 upgrade, I've noticed the following happening
    consistently:
    $ xpdf foo.pdf
    XtUngrabButton(drawArea,3,0)
    Warning: Attempt to remove nonexistent passive grab
    as well as
    $ ooffice foo.doc
    libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b

    I can live with these. But I've noticed as of late that after I've
    been running for awhile, I get the following msgs when trying to
    launch a new X-windows application:
    Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached
    This is more of a problem. When I get into this situation, I find
    that I need to log out and log back in again.

    Suggestions? Thanks!

    --
    Art Werschulz (agw STRUDEL comcast.net)
    207 Stoughton Ave Cranford NJ 07016

  2. Re: strange goings on after FC5->FC6 upgrade

    On 28 Feb 2007 21:17:55 -0500, Art Werschulz wrote:

    >After doing a FC5->FC6 upgrade, I've noticed the following happening
    >consistently:

    You might try posting this in comp.os.linux.redhat. Not only is it
    better propigated, it's followed by people running the same distro as
    you're asking about. Also, are you using Gnome or KDE? It might make
    a difference.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: strange goings on after FC5->FC6 upgrade

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Joe Zeff wrote:

    >Art Werschulz wrote:

    >>After doing a FC5->FC6 upgrade, I've noticed the following happening
    >>consistently:

    >You might try posting this in comp.os.linux.redhat. Not only is it
    >better propigated, it's followed by people running the same distro as
    >you're asking about.

    1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    comp.os.linux.help 505 190 177 219 27
    comp.os.linux.redhat 614 428 214 130 40
    comp.os.linux.misc 15236 18409 18265 14150 4090

    'comp.os.linux.help' was _renamed_ 'comp.os.linux.misc' back in 1994,
    and 'comp.os.linux.redhat' was never a big-eight newsgroup. You might
    want to look at groups that are carried on most news servers. On the
    15th of every month, there is a posting to 'news.announce.newgroups',
    'news.groups', and 'news.lists.misc' with the subject 'List of Big Eight
    Newsgroups'. It lists a grand total of 17 Linux newsgroups:

    [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.list.02.15.07 | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    Biggest problem with c.o.l.misc is that spammers sometimes target it,
    and it therefore helps to have a killfile that automatically drops
    stuff cross-posted to *.advocacy, or rec.* and similar off-topic
    newsgroups.

    On the other hand, the O/P was posting from news.comcast.com, which is
    yet another name for giganews.com - and of the 1119 newsgroups with the
    string "linux" in the name that they carry, 'alt.os.linux.redhat' has
    half again as many posts as 'comp.os.linux.redhat', and 'linux.redhat'
    is seeing more than ten times as many.

    Old guy

  4. Re: strange goings on after FC5->FC6 upgrade

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:14:29 -0600, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >'comp.os.linux.help' was _renamed_ 'comp.os.linux.misc' back in 1994,
    >and 'comp.os.linux.redhat' was never a big-eight newsgroup.

    Yes, I know that there "should't be" a newsfroop named
    comp.os.linux.help and that it's not carried everywhere. I subsrcribe
    to both this (non-existant) froop and comp.os.linux.redhat and get
    about three times as many posts there as here. Also, as it's devoted
    to the distro the OP is asking about, I thought he'd be more likely to
    get help there.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  5. Re: strange goings on after FC5->FC6 upgrade

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Joe Zeff wrote:

    >(Moe Trin) wrote:

    >>'comp.os.linux.help' was _renamed_ 'comp.os.linux.misc' back in 1994,
    >>and 'comp.os.linux.redhat' was never a big-eight newsgroup.

    >Yes, I know that there "should't be" a newsfroop named
    >comp.os.linux.help and that it's not carried everywhere. I subsrcribe
    >to both this (non-existant) froop and comp.os.linux.redhat and get
    >about three times as many posts there as here.

    My stats only go back to second half of 2004, but they don't show quite
    that much of a difference.

    >Also, as it's devoted to the distro the OP is asking about, I thought
    >he'd be more likely to get help there.

    So let's show the stats for two more groups:

    2H04 1H05 2H05 1H06 2H06 1H07
    comp.os.linux.help 744 505 190 177 219 31
    comp.os.linux.redhat 1045 614 428 214 130 49
    comp.os.linux.misc 15349 15236 18409 18265 14150 4253
    alt.os.linux.redhat 2257 1929 937 675 528 171
    linux.redhat 6303 5552 3481 3511 2356 680

    That's as of noon UTC today. So it looks like alt.os.linux.redhat and
    linux.redhat would have a better chance - though the readership is still
    small compared to the Big Eight groups.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread