Do I really need a swap partition? - Help

This is a discussion on Do I really need a swap partition? - Help ; Dear readers, as you know, The Mighty Wurlitzer has 4GB of RAM. I have been looking at logs and discovered today that out of the past 250 hours of operation, the swap space has never been used. Matter of fact, ...

  1. Do I really need a swap partition?

    Dear readers, as you know, The Mighty Wurlitzer has 4GB of RAM. I have
    been looking at logs and discovered today that out of the past 250 hours
    of operation, the swap space has never been used. Matter of fact, the
    maximum memory use at any one time was just short of 3.988 GB. Sysguard
    shows "488 KB" of swap used and the remainder of 2.047 never used.

    I am thinking about unmounting and using qtparted to merge the swap
    space with /dev/sda4 ... user space on my sata drive.

    I recently did what I would call a "hot swap" where I dismounted
    /dev/hdd ( a 250 GB HD) unplugged it and replaced it with another 250GB
    HD. The system seemed to do some thrashing when I issued the mount
    /dev/hdd, but that passed in a few moments and /dev/hdd is being filled
    with my backups. I don'[t know if that is a dangerous practice or not.

    Anyway, what say you about the swap space. I've googled about yea and
    nay, but there seem to be few people with as much RAM as I have to make
    a good comparison.

    Thanks!

    Dave

  2. Re: Do I really need a swap partition?

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > Dear readers, as you know, The Mighty Wurlitzer has 4GB of RAM. I have
    > been looking at logs and discovered today that out of the past 250 hours
    > of operation, the swap space has never been used. Matter of fact, the
    > maximum memory use at any one time was just short of 3.988 GB. Sysguard
    > shows "488 KB" of swap used and the remainder of 2.047 never used.
    >
    > I am thinking about unmounting and using qtparted to merge the swap
    > space with /dev/sda4 ... user space on my sata drive.
    >
    > I recently did what I would call a "hot swap" where I dismounted
    > /dev/hdd ( a 250 GB HD) unplugged it and replaced it with another 250GB
    > HD. The system seemed to do some thrashing when I issued the mount
    > /dev/hdd, but that passed in a few moments and /dev/hdd is being filled
    > with my backups. I don'[t know if that is a dangerous practice or not.
    >
    > Anyway, what say you about the swap space. I've googled about yea and
    > nay, but there seem to be few people with as much RAM as I have to make
    > a good comparison.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Dave

    In case of a disk crash or other system faillure linux would try to dump
    what's in memory in swap so it could recover your data from it.
    Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

  3. Re: Do I really need a swap partition?

    Martin van den Brink wrote:
    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >> Dear readers, as you know, The Mighty Wurlitzer has 4GB of RAM. I
    >> have been looking at logs and discovered today that out of the past
    >> 250 hours of operation, the swap space has never been used. Matter of
    >> fact, the maximum memory use at any one time was just short of 3.988
    >> GB. Sysguard shows "488 KB" of swap used and the remainder of 2.047
    >> never used.
    >>
    >> I am thinking about unmounting and using qtparted to merge the swap
    >> space with /dev/sda4 ... user space on my sata drive.
    >>
    >> I recently did what I would call a "hot swap" where I dismounted
    >> /dev/hdd ( a 250 GB HD) unplugged it and replaced it with another
    >> 250GB HD. The system seemed to do some thrashing when I issued the
    >> mount /dev/hdd, but that passed in a few moments and /dev/hdd is being
    >> filled with my backups. I don'[t know if that is a dangerous practice
    >> or not.
    >>
    >> Anyway, what say you about the swap space. I've googled about yea and
    >> nay, but there seem to be few people with as much RAM as I have to
    >> make a good comparison.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Dave

    > In case of a disk crash or other system faillure linux would try to dump
    > what's in memory in swap so it could recover your data from it.
    > Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

    That is what I understand, also. But if I have a non-critical system
    and it has been months since the last full system freeze which required
    a cold boot.

    Regards,

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread