Slow Network - ethtool Output - Help

This is a discussion on Slow Network - ethtool Output - Help ; I am seeing downloads in the 350kbps range on my Linux box - all other machines are in the 3M+ range (cable modem). Everything looks OK, except: ~# ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:4B:62:75:E6 inet addr:192.168.0.228 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: ...

  1. Slow Network - ethtool Output

    I am seeing downloads in the 350kbps range on my Linux box - all other
    machines are in the 3M+ range (cable modem).

    Everything looks OK, except:

    ~# ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:4B:62:75:E6
    inet addr:192.168.0.228 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::210:4bff:fe62:75e6/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:7768811 (7.4 MiB) TX bytes:1541178 (1.4 MiB)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000

    ~# ethtool -S eth0
    NIC statistics:
    tx_deferred: 0
    tx_max_collisions: 0
    tx_multiple_collisions: 0
    tx_single_collisions: 0
    rx_bad_ssd: 2408826

    Any direction on where to find out what a "rx_bad_ssd" means, and whether
    this could be the cause of my slowdown?

    Searches produce reams of kernel code, but no clear direction on cause or
    solution. Thanks.

  2. Re: Slow Network - ethtool Output

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    , God Bless Texas wrote:

    [Note: comp.os.linux.help is a bogus newsgroup carried on misconfigured
    news servers only. It was replaced in December 1994 by comp.os.linux.misc
    which is even less appropriate - try comp.os.linux.networking]

    >I am seeing downloads in the 350kbps range on my Linux box - all other
    >machines are in the 3M+ range (cable modem).
    >
    >Everything looks OK, except:
    >
    >~# ifconfig
    >eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:4B:62:75:E6

    3Com of some kind

    > RX packets:13278 errors:957 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:961

    Awww, you've got hardware problems. The errors can be a lot of things,
    but the 'frame:' indicates that the signals on the wire are being
    corrupted, and the received packet is not a multiple of eight bits in
    length.

    >~# ethtool -S eth0
    >NIC statistics:
    > tx_deferred: 0
    > tx_max_collisions: 0
    > tx_multiple_collisions: 0
    > tx_single_collisions: 0
    > rx_bad_ssd: 2408826

    That number is awfully high - given that you've only seen ~13300 packets
    totalling 7+ 'Megabytes.

    >Any direction on where to find out what a "rx_bad_ssd" means, and whether
    >this could be the cause of my slowdown?

    I don't know what the BadSSD is - it's found in the Vortex driver code
    (3c59x.c) as being part of a card register set. Your slowdown is in
    part due to the corrupted frames, which need to be retransmitted.

    >Searches produce reams of kernel code, but no clear direction on cause or
    >solution. Thanks.

    I suspect they're related to what-ever is causing the frame errors. In
    general, that's a bad NIC or a bad cable.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Slow Network - ethtool Output

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:53:14 -0600, Moe Trin wrote:

    > [Note: comp.os.linux.help is a bogus newsgroup carried on misconfigured
    > news servers only.

    Roadrunner misconfigured? Nahhhh . . . ;-)

    > It was replaced in December 1994 by comp.os.linux.misc
    > which is even less appropriate - try comp.os.linux.networking]

    Thanks.

    > Awww, you've got hardware problems.

    Yep, the replacement NIC fixed all.

    >> rx_bad_ssd: 2408826

    > That number is awfully high - given that you've only seen ~13300 packets
    > totalling 7+ 'Megabytes.

    Yes, I thought so too.

    >>Any direction on where to find out what a "rx_bad_ssd" means, and whether
    >>this could be the cause of my slowdown?

    > I don't know what the BadSSD is - it's found in the Vortex driver code
    > (3c59x.c) as being part of a card register set.

    Clear as mud. :-)

    > I suspect they're related to what-ever is causing the frame errors. In
    > general, that's a bad NIC or a bad cable.

    NIC. Thanks though. Between the shaw.ca and MI5, it's hard to tell
    what's a good group and what's just thermal noise anymore.

  4. Re: Slow Network - ethtool Output

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    , God Bless Texas wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:
    >
    >> [Note: comp.os.linux.help is a bogus newsgroup carried on misconfigured
    >> news servers only.

    >Roadrunner misconfigured? Nahhhh . . . ;-)

    Yeah - the main problem is that c.o.l.help doesn't get that much traffic
    any more, and you're better off looking in the higher traffic groups.

    >> I don't know what the BadSSD is - it's found in the Vortex driver code
    >> (3c59x.c) as being part of a card register set.

    >Clear as mud. :-)

    Donald Becker used to post in comp.os.linux.networking, but I haven't
    seen anything from him in three or four years. He did answer this type
    of question.

    >> I suspect they're related to what-ever is causing the frame errors. In
    >> general, that's a bad NIC or a bad cable.

    >NIC. Thanks though. Between the shaw.ca and MI5, it's hard to tell
    >what's a good group and what's just thermal noise anymore.

    It's not included in the killfile FAQ, but I know that Pan has a decent
    killfile capability. The group 'news.software.readers may offer some
    suggestions. As for what's a good Linux newsgroup, I usually recommend
    looking at the Big Eight List that is posted on the 15th of every month
    to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc. That lists
    17 Linux newsgroups:

    [compton ~]$ zgrep linux ../big.8.list.01.15.07.gz | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    Beyond these, there is a vast number of groups in the 'alt' hierarchy
    that are sometimes useful. Your headers suggest Debian (though it could
    be a Debian clone), and an example would be

    [compton ~]$ grep ^alt .newsrc | grep debian
    alt.fr.os.debian!
    alt.os.debian!
    alt.os.linux.debian!
    alt.pl.comp.os.linux.debian!
    [compton ~]$

    (French, Polish, and two probably in English), but Debian tends more to
    use mailing lists. If that is a Ubuntu variant, there is a group called
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread