FC6 network problem - Help

This is a discussion on FC6 network problem - Help ; I've just upgraded from FC3 to FC6. The upgrade seemed to go okay. It boots without any problems and services are starting properly. The only issue is it can't find the gateway or DNS. I can ping other machines on ...

  1. FC6 network problem

    I've just upgraded from FC3 to FC6. The upgrade seemed to go okay. It
    boots without any problems and services are starting properly.

    The only issue is it can't find the gateway or DNS. I can ping other
    machines on the local subnet but nothing outside. I can't ping the box
    from outside the subnet either.

    ifconfig is showing the correct settings.
    /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameserver.

    Any suggestions?

    Cheers
    David

  2. Re: FC6 network problem

    David Bromage wrote:
    > I've just upgraded from FC3 to FC6. The upgrade seemed to go okay. It
    > boots without any problems and services are starting properly.
    >
    > The only issue is it can't find the gateway or DNS. I can ping other
    > machines on the local subnet but nothing outside. I can't ping the box
    > from outside the subnet either.
    >
    > ifconfig is showing the correct settings.
    > /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameserver.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Cheers
    > David

    Check selinux profiles, or try:
    # chkconfig --level 2345 iptables off
    # chkconfig --level 2345 ip6tables off
    # /etc/init.d/iptables stop
    # /etc/init.d/ip6tables stop

    The later worked for me, as I experienced something similar because of
    iptables.

  3. Re: FC6 network problem

    Wayne wrote:
    > David Bromage wrote:
    >
    >> I've just upgraded from FC3 to FC6. The upgrade seemed to go okay. It
    >> boots without any problems and services are starting properly.
    >>
    >> The only issue is it can't find the gateway or DNS. I can ping other
    >> machines on the local subnet but nothing outside. I can't ping the box
    >> from outside the subnet either.
    >>
    >> ifconfig is showing the correct settings.
    >> /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameserver.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > Check selinux profiles, or try:
    > # chkconfig --level 2345 iptables off
    > # chkconfig --level 2345 ip6tables off
    > # /etc/init.d/iptables stop
    > # /etc/init.d/ip6tables stop
    >
    > The later worked for me, as I experienced something similar because of
    > iptables.

    Still not working. Pinging the gateway still gives "Destination Host
    Unreachable".

    Cheers
    David

  4. Re: FC6 network problem

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:05:26 +1100, David Bromage wrote:
    > I've just upgraded from FC3 to FC6. The upgrade seemed to go okay. It
    > boots without any problems and services are starting properly.
    >
    > The only issue is it can't find the gateway or DNS. I can ping other
    > machines on the local subnet but nothing outside. I can't ping the box
    > from outside the subnet either.
    >
    > ifconfig is showing the correct settings.
    > /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameserver.

    Then my SWAG is no gateway. If you like, dump your setting for
    us to look over.

    -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    dump_net.txt version 2.2

    Once you get your network running you may want to run xx one last time
    and save the output file for disk crash/new installs

    Might not hurt to save xx for one of a network debugging checklist step.

    The following script dumps your hardware status, network settings and
    config files used in network setup. We need them to troubleshoot your
    problem.

    If you are having to use windows to access Usenet:
    Format a diskette on the windows system.

    Copy the following xx.txt script into xx.txt using notepad.exe
    then save xx.txt to the diskette.

    Feel free to include the #**** start/end xx.txt script **** lines.

    If using linux for usenet access, su - root, copy script text into xx
    chmod +x xx
    ./xx

    and include a.txt (if on linux) or dosa.txt (if on windows) in your reply.

    NOTE: to become root, you need to do a
    su - root
    not su root

    #******** start of xx.txt script ****************

    _out_fn=a.txt

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    echo ======== cat $_fn ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== tail -18 $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    tail -18 $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # grep_fn

    #********************************
    # check if commands are in $PATH
    # and if not add their path to $PATH
    #********************************

    _path=""
    type ifconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/sbin:"
    fi

    type cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/bin:"
    fi

    type id > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/usr/bin:"
    fi

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    PATH=${_path}$PATH
    export PATH
    fi

    #********************************
    # check if root and logged in correctly
    #********************************

    _uid=$(id --user)

    if [ $_uid -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "You need to be root to run $0"
    echo "CLick up a terminal and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    exit 1
    fi

    root_flg=1

    if [ -n "$LOGNAME" ] ; then
    if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ -n "$USER" ] ; then
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ $root_flg -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "Guessing you did a su root"
    echo "instead of a su - root"
    echo "please exit/logout of this session and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    #********************************
    # main code starts here
    #********************************

    date > $_out_fn
    chmod 666 $_out_fn

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    echo ======== echo $PATH ========== >> $_out_fn
    echo $PATH >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/product.id

    echo ======== cat /etc/*release ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /etc/*release >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    echo ======== uname -rvi ============= >> $_out_fn
    uname -rvi >> $_out_fn

    echo ======== cat /etc/*version ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /etc/*version >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    echo ======== cat /proc/version ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /proc/*version >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    type lsb_release > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== lsb_release -a ========== >> $_out_fn
    lsb_release -a >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    echo msec security level is $SECURE_LEVEL >> $_out_fn

    type chkconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== chkconfig --list ========== >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    chkconfig --list | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ that not running" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    chkconfig --list | grep n >> $_out_fn
    chkconfig --list | tail -15 >> $_out_fn

    else
    echo ======== ls -o /etc/rc2.d ========== >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    ls /etc/rc2.d/S* | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " /$_serv/ is running" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    ls -o /etc/rc2.d >> $_out_fn
    fi

    _fn=/etc/nsswitch.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo ======== grep hosts: $_fn ========== >> $_out_fn
    grep hosts: $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/resolv.conf

    echo ======== hostname ========== >> $_out_fn
    hostname >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/hostname
    cat_fn /etc/HOSTNAME

    ls /etc/mod*.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth /etc/mod*.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks

    cat_fn /etc/host.conf

    echo ================ ifconfig -a =============== >> $_out_fn
    ifconfig -a >> $_out_fn

    echo ============== route -n ================= >> $_out_fn
    route -n >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/routes

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network

    echo ============== head -15 /etc/hosts =============== >> $_out_fn
    head -15 /etc/hosts >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/network/interfaces
    cat_fn /var/run/network/ifstate

    _cmd=""
    type ethtool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="ethtool"
    fi

    type mii-tool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="mii-tool -v"
    fi

    if [ -z "$_cmd" ] ; then
    echo ======== mii-tool/ethtool NOT INSTALLED ========== >> $_out_fn
    fi

    for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    if [ -n "$_cmd" ] ; then
    $_cmd eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== $_cmd eth$nic ========== >> $_out_fn
    $_cmd eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth$nic

    ifconfig eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    set $(ifconfig eth$nic | tr [A-Z] [a-z])
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$5
    fi

    grep_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    grep_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

    done

    cat_fn /etc/hosts.allow
    cat_fn /etc/hosts.deny
    echo "======= end of config/network data dump ===========" >> $_out_fn

    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_out_fn}
    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' $PWD/$_out_fn > $_dos_fn
    chmod 666 $_dos_fn

    echo " "
    echo "If posting via linux, post contents of $PWD/$_out_fn"
    echo "You might want to copy it to your account with the command"
    echo "cp $PWD/$_out_fn ~your_login"
    echo " "
    echo "If posting via windows, post contents of $PWD/$_dos_fn"
    echo " "
    echo "If using diskette,"
    echo "Copy $_dos_fn to diskette with the following commands:"
    echo " "
    echo "mkdir -p /floppy"
    echo "mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy"
    echo "cp $_dos_fn /floppy"
    echo "umount /floppy "
    echo " "
    echo "and $_dos_fn is ready for windows from diskette"
    echo " "

    #*********** end of dump xx.txt script *********

    and then copy xx.txt to the diskette.

    On some linux distributions, you may need to get into the User/Group
    screen, show all users, double click root, create the password, and
    enable root. Root's password should never be the same as anyone elses.

    To move xx.txt from diskette to the linux box, click up a linux terminal
    su - root
    (root's passwd)

    mkdir -p /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    tr -d '\015' < /floppy/xx.txt > xx
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    Back on the windows OS, you can cut/paste the a:\dosa.txt into your reply
    under windows.
    Do not attach it.

    If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    first partition on the C: drive

    mkdir -p /doze
    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    tr -d '\015' < "/doze/whever/you saved/xx.txt" > xx
    umount /doze

    On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    windows linux driver from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

  5. Re: FC6 network problem

    "David Bromage" wrote in message
    > I've just upgraded from FC3 to FC6. The upgrade seemed to go okay. It
    > boots without any problems and services are starting properly.
    >
    > The only issue is it can't find the gateway or DNS. I can ping other
    > machines on the local subnet but nothing outside. I can't ping the box
    > from outside the subnet either.
    >
    > ifconfig is showing the correct settings.
    > /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameserver.

    Did you do a clean install or a upgrade install of FC6 ?

    Check /etc/hosts file for the 127.0.0.1 loopback and the gateway address and
    the machine's address.

    Check /etc/sysconfig/network for your host name.

    Also you can use the Gui network configuration ( administration -->
    network -> device tab) and check for the default gateway address on Eth0 and
    the primary DNS on the DNS Tab.
    ( or you could run system-config-network in a console )

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  6. Re: FC6 network problem

    David Bromage wrote:
    > Wayne wrote:
    >> David Bromage wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've just upgraded from FC3 to FC6. The upgrade seemed to go okay. It
    >>> boots without any problems and services are starting properly.
    >>>
    >>> The only issue is it can't find the gateway or DNS. I can ping other
    >>> machines on the local subnet but nothing outside. I can't ping the box
    >>> from outside the subnet either.
    >>>
    >>> ifconfig is showing the correct settings.
    >>> /etc/resolv.conf has the correct nameserver.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    > Still not working. Pinging the gateway still gives "Destination Host
    > Unreachable".

    Make sure the gateway IP address is correct.

    --
    Clifford Kite

  7. Re: FC6 network problem

    Sandgroper wrote:
    > Did you do a clean install or a upgrade install of FC6 ?

    Upgrade install.

    > Check /etc/hosts file for the 127.0.0.1 loopback and the gateway address and
    > the machine's address.
    >
    > Check /etc/sysconfig/network for your host name.

    Both are correct.

    > Also you can use the Gui network configuration ( administration -->
    > network -> device tab) and check for the default gateway address on Eth0 and
    > the primary DNS on the DNS Tab.
    > ( or you could run system-config-network in a console )

    All the settings are correct.

    Still can't ping the gateway or anything else outside the subnet.

    Cheers
    David

+ Reply to Thread