disk space hogged - Help

This is a discussion on disk space hogged - Help ; Hello, I would appreciate any advice on the following problem that I have run twice during this week. I found that at some point someone hogs all the disk space on my RedHat 9 workstation: "df -k /dev/hdc2" shows that ...

  1. disk space hogged

    Hello,

    I would appreciate any advice on the following problem that I
    have run twice during this week.

    I found that at some point someone hogs all the disk space on
    my RedHat 9 workstation: "df -k /dev/hdc2" shows that all
    60 GBytes on my hard disk (/dev/hdc2) are used, and there is
    zero free space left on it. This seems to be correct - when
    I try to write to the disk "echo Hello > /hello.txt", I am
    getting messages "no space left on the device".

    However, if I try to find out which file(s) take so much of
    disk space by executing "du -k / | tail", this command's output
    says that there are only 30 GB worth of files and directories
    under "/" (root dir). Apparently 'df' and 'du' have disagreement
    regarding how much disk space used and how much is left free.

    If I reboot my workstation, and execute 'd'f and 'du' again,
    they both will agree that there are 30 GB used disk space, and
    30 GB left free.

    I am really confused who hogs all the disk space, and why
    'du' fails to report it. I would appreciate any advice on this
    problem.

    I am running RedHat 9 (original installation, no upgrades) on
    pretty much standard PC (Pentium 4 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Matrox G550
    video, 3COM905B network card, CDROM and single 60 GB Hitachi
    hard disk at /dev/hdc). I am not doing anything particularly
    unusual - GNome is running, Xsnow (toy X Windows applications
    with Santa and Rudolph running across the screen), couple of
    Bash shells, Emacs, and Firefox. I actually suspect Firefox
    to cause this problem (since this problem start happening out
    of the blue after I have upgraded Firefox to 1.5.0.9 couple of
    weeks ago), but at the moment I can't prove it.

    So how can I find out which process or file hogs all the
    free space on disk ?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Andray

  2. Re: disk space hogged

    On 2006-12-29, nobody wrote:
    > If I reboot my workstation, and execute 'd'f and 'du' again,
    > they both will agree that there are 30 GB used disk space, and
    > 30 GB left free.

    The missing space could go in a file that has been unlinked (the file
    name has disappearead from the directory) but some process has still
    an open file handler, so the file is still 'there' and the space is
    used, but the file itself can no longer be seen or accounted for by
    new processes. Rebooting remove the file handler and then clear the
    space used by the "invisible" file.

    > I am running RedHat 9 (original installation, no upgrades)

    That thing is almost 10 years old, it would be better to upgrade to
    something more up-to-date.

    > So how can I find out which process or file hogs all the
    > free space on disk ?

    Using fuser and lsof, and checking which processes are active when
    the problem arises.

    Davide

    --
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing
    it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies.

+ Reply to Thread