TV Tuner driver/won't detect channels - Help

This is a discussion on TV Tuner driver/won't detect channels - Help ; Yes, Hello. I have recently purchased an ATI TV Wonder Pro for my new computer due to the obselesence of my old All in Wonder Pro. I have set up Video4Linux, the CX88 driver module in the kernel, and the ...

  1. TV Tuner driver/won't detect channels

    Yes, Hello.

    I have recently purchased an ATI TV Wonder Pro for my new computer due
    to the obselesence of my old All in Wonder Pro.

    I have set up Video4Linux, the CX88 driver module in the kernel, and the
    TV Viewing application but the last one only to an extent -- I am able
    to get a staticy video and audio feed from the card (it is recognized by
    the kernel and TV app), but it will not detect any channels or anything
    other than static for that matter.

    I am using Slackware Linux 10 with kernel 2.6.15.2. I would try
    upgrading kernels but for some reason anything higher than 2.6.15 will
    lock up my system on boot, and this support has been in the kernel since
    2.4 so changing kernels likely isn't the answer anyway.

    The driver is the CX88 driver. I have loaded all the modules minus one
    loaded at boot, which are the following:

    cx88xx 55584 -
    ir_common 7820 -
    tveeprom 13400 -
    video_buf 16588 -
    i2c_algo_bit 8400 -
    v4l1_compat 13676 -
    v4l2_common 4488 -
    btcx_risc 3632 -
    videodev 6688 -
    i2c_core 16200 -

    And the cx8800 module I load manually. Only when this last one is
    loaded does xawtv recognize the card:

    $ xawtv -hwscan
    This is xawtv-3.95, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.15.2)
    looking for available devices
    /dev/video0: OK [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : ATI TV Wonder Pro
    flags: overlay capture tuner

    I load that last module with the card=4 parameter and value, as it is
    listed as the fourth card (starting at zero) in the list of supported
    cards in linux/Documentation. Aside from that list, there is next to no
    documentation for this driver in the kernel tree.

    I have tried xine instead of xawtv and it does not even produce the
    static, much less work, and from what I read I gather it's not specific
    to the client I'm using -- it would likely give me static on any TV
    client I were to try.

    The results of scantv (the program intended to generate a list of
    available channels for xawtv to use) follows:

    $ scantv
    ioctl: VIDIOCGFBUF(base=(nil),size=0x0,depth=0,bpl=0): Invalid argument

    please select your TV norm
    0: PAL
    1: NTSC
    2: SECAM
    -1: AUTO
    nr ? -1

    please select a frequency table
    0: us-bcast
    1: us-cable
    2: us-cable-hrc
    3: japan-bcast
    4: japan-cable
    5: europe-west
    6: europe-east
    7: italy
    8: newzealand
    9: australia
    10: ireland
    11: france
    12: china-bcast
    nr ? 1
    [global]
    freqtab = us-cable

    [defaults]
    input = Television
    norm = AUTO

    ioctl: VIDIOCSPICT(params=32768/32896/32896/32896/0,depth=0,fmt=4):
    Invalid argument
    ioctl: VIDIOCSPICT(params=32896/32896/32896/32768/0,depth=63263,fmt=4):
    Invalid argument
    invalid value for norm: AUTO
    valid choices for "norm": "PAL", "NTSC", "SECAM", "AUTO"

    scanning...
    1 ( 73.25 MHz): no station
    2 ( 55.25 MHz): no station
    3 ( 61.25 MHz): no station
    4 ( 67.25 MHz):

    Of course the "no station" line is repeated another 130 times for the
    rest of the channels.

    I am not sure, but I think the solution may include removing one of the
    modules from auto-install, and manually load it with some additional
    option that I don't know about, upon boot. (along the lines of card=4
    or tuner=X or type=Y).

    I have looked on the web for the answer to this but seem to have
    exhausted all available resources.

    I look forward to having the tuner work by Wednesday night for the
    Knicks game if someone could help me realize this.

    Much appreciation.

  2. Re: TV Tuner driver/won't detect channels

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:09:11 -0500, Andrew C Levin
    wrote:

    >I have recently purchased an ATI TV Wonder Pro for my new computer due
    >to the obselesence of my old All in Wonder Pro.

    Please be patient. Posting the same thing repeatedly isn't going to
    get you an answer any faster, especially on Chri$tma$ day.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: TV Tuner driver/won't detect channels

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:09:11 -0500, Andrew C Levin
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have recently purchased an ATI TV Wonder Pro for my new computer due
    >> to the obselesence of my old All in Wonder Pro.

    > Please be patient. Posting the same thing repeatedly isn't going to
    > get you an answer any faster, especially on Chri$tma$ day.

    Tried canceling it and reposting it 'cause I spelled one of the module
    names wrong, but I know not everyone's newsfeed or newsreader is
    amenable to a cancel-post. Didn't mean to inconvenience.

  4. Re: TV Tuner driver/won't detect channels

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:09:59 -0500, Andrew C Levin
    wrote:

    >Tried canceling it and reposting it 'cause I spelled one of the module
    >names wrong, but I know not everyone's newsfeed or newsreader is
    >amenable to a cancel-post. Didn't mean to inconvenience.

    Better, then, would be a followup with a speeling korreqshun. HTH,
    HAND, Mele Kalikimaka e hauole malahiki hau!

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --