Need Advice - Help

This is a discussion on Need Advice - Help ; Hi, I have an old computer laying around, 200mhz AMD K6, 128M RAM, 7G hard drive and also a 15G hard drive. Bios will not allow it to boot from CD. Originally it had Windows 95, then Windows ME, and ...

  1. Need Advice

    Hi,

    I have an old computer laying around, 200mhz AMD K6, 128M RAM, 7G hard
    drive and also a 15G hard drive. Bios will not allow it to boot
    from CD. Originally it had Windows 95, then Windows ME, and now it
    attempts to run painfully slow under Windows 2000.

    I am 'thinking' somehow I would like to install Linux on the 15G hard
    drive and run Samba making it a print server and maybe occasionally
    a file server for my other computers. Maybe also like to run a web browser
    to read email.

    As I said, with only 128M ram, it currently is painstakingly slow and
    often crashes with Windows 2000. I am not quite sure how to install linux
    on it since it can not boot from a CD, I was thinking possibly of
    physically removing the 15G hard drive and physically putting it in
    another computer that can boot from CD. Then install linux on the 15G
    drive, and move it back to the old computer. If I did that, I am not sure
    how I would tell the old computer to boot from the 2nd drive, and if it
    would have all the correct drivers loaded since the install would have
    been on different hardware.

    Any thought on whether even messing with it is worth while, or would it
    end up being so slow as to be as unusable as it is under Windows 2000.
    Any thoughts on any aspect of this whole problem would be appreciated.

    I guess another question might be what distro to use for this adventure.
    On my other computers, I use Fedora but I am game to try anything.

    Thanks

    Ed Doyle
    doyleed@gmail.com

  2. Re: Need Advice

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:52:16 +0000, Ed Doyle wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old computer laying around, 200mhz AMD K6, 128M RAM, 7G hard
    > drive and also a 15G hard drive. Bios will not allow it to boot
    > from CD. Originally it had Windows 95, then Windows ME, and now it
    > attempts to run painfully slow under Windows 2000.
    >
    > I am 'thinking' somehow I would like to install Linux on the 15G hard
    > drive and run Samba making it a print server and maybe occasionally
    > a file server for my other computers. Maybe also like to run a web browser
    > to read email.
    >
    > As I said, with only 128M ram, it currently is painstakingly slow and
    > often crashes with Windows 2000. I am not quite sure how to install linux
    > on it since it can not boot from a CD, I was thinking possibly of
    > physically removing the 15G hard drive and physically putting it in
    > another computer that can boot from CD. Then install linux on the 15G
    > drive, and move it back to the old computer. If I did that, I am not sure
    > how I would tell the old computer to boot from the 2nd drive, and if it
    > would have all the correct drivers loaded since the install would have
    > been on different hardware.

    There is a boot manager called Smart Boot Manager that will allow you to
    boot from a floppy and then bootstrap it to a cd. I brings up a menu of
    choices like 'floppy, hard disks and cdrom'. It is available on the Slack
    10.2 install cd. I assume it's also on the 11.0 version too. Of course
    you can get it from freshmeat too.

    > Any thought on whether even messing with it is worth while, or would it
    > end up being so slow as to be as unusable as it is under Windows 2000.
    > Any thoughts on any aspect of this whole problem would be appreciated.
    >
    > I guess another question might be what distro to use for this adventure.
    > On my other computers, I use Fedora but I am game to try anything.

    I have an HP Vectra PI-120,80 meg ram which I an using as an mp3 player. I
    like it since it has only one fan on it and even that is deeply recessed
    into the computer so it is very quiet. It has the same inability to boot
    from cd but I had no trouble installing Slack 10.2 on it with the
    aforementioned boot manager.

    I don't have X installed on the Vectra. I access it either blindly with a
    keyboard or from ssh (usually runs with no monitor).

    I would recommend a Slackware command line installation with no X. As a
    file server your 200 mhz computer probably can't keep up with a 100
    megabit line but it can probably do 50. I used to use a PI-200 that would
    handle about 60 megabits.

    kw