Yumex experiences? - Help

This is a discussion on Yumex experiences? - Help ; Hi group, I have always used the command line yum, but with Fedora 6 loaded Yumex, the GUI for yum. It is handy in that it provides a laundry list of stuff to install or uninstall or to upgrade. However, ...

  1. Yumex experiences?

    Hi group, I have always used the command line yum, but with Fedora 6
    loaded Yumex, the GUI for yum. It is handy in that it provides a
    laundry list of stuff to install or uninstall or to upgrade.

    However, I have noticed that when removing a particular application,
    Yumex removes all of the dependencies with it. For example, I was going
    to use Yumex to remove Kaffeine and watched with surprise as the list to
    be deleted was populated with all kinds of libraries which other
    applications are using.

    Has anyone had this experience? I have since returned to yum on the
    commandline, but can imagine how you could blow away your whole system
    if you just did a quick point and click. Remember you are root when you
    use it.

    Cheers,

    Dave

  2. Re: Yumex experiences?

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > Hi group, I have always used the command line yum, but with Fedora 6
    > loaded Yumex, the GUI for yum. It is handy in that it provides a
    > laundry list of stuff to install or uninstall or to upgrade.

    yum list | grep foo

    ;-)

    > However, I have noticed that when removing a particular application,
    > Yumex removes all of the dependencies with it. For example, I was going
    > to use Yumex to remove Kaffeine and watched with surprise as the list to
    > be deleted was populated with all kinds of libraries which other
    > applications are using.
    >
    > Has anyone had this experience? I have since returned to yum on the
    > commandline, but can imagine how you could blow away your whole system
    > if you just did a quick point and click. Remember you are root when you
    > use it.

    I'm no guru on the GUI which FC6 puts on the install/remove software,
    but I have used it a couple of times. One somewhat annoying thing I did
    notice one time was that, when I installed a package that required other
    dependent packages, I got a popup with a message something to the effect of:

    "This package requires other packages. Please click on [details] to see
    the list, or this dialog will automatically continue in 30 seconds...

    That wasn't the exact message, but the point was, if you did _nothing_
    to stop it, then it would just go on its merry way and install all the
    packages by default. I suspect the same thing may be happening on an
    un-install. Watch very closely next time to see if there is a message
    warning you about additional actions if you don't do anything to stop it...

    --
    Chuck Tryon

  3. Re: Yumex experiences?

    Charles Tryon wrote:
    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >> Hi group, I have always used the command line yum, but with Fedora 6
    >> loaded Yumex, the GUI for yum. It is handy in that it provides a
    >> laundry list of stuff to install or uninstall or to upgrade.

    > yum list | grep foo
    >
    > ;-)
    >

    >> However, I have noticed that when removing a particular application,
    >> Yumex removes all of the dependencies with it. For example, I was
    >> going to use Yumex to remove Kaffeine and watched with surprise as the
    >> list to be deleted was populated with all kinds of libraries which
    >> other applications are using.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had this experience? I have since returned to yum on the
    >> commandline, but can imagine how you could blow away your whole system
    >> if you just did a quick point and click. Remember you are root when
    >> you use it.

    > I'm no guru on the GUI which FC6 puts on the install/remove software,
    > but I have used it a couple of times. One somewhat annoying thing I did
    > notice one time was that, when I installed a package that required other
    > dependent packages, I got a popup with a message something to the effect
    > of:
    >
    > "This package requires other packages. Please click on [details] to see
    > the list, or this dialog will automatically continue in 30 seconds...
    >
    > That wasn't the exact message, but the point was, if you did _nothing_
    > to stop it, then it would just go on its merry way and install all the
    > packages by default. I suspect the same thing may be happening on an
    > un-install. Watch very closely next time to see if there is a message
    > warning you about additional actions if you don't do anything to stop it...
    >

    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Dave

    > --
    > Chuck Tryon

    Hi Chuck, thanks for the info. I've noticed the same thing, Yumex is
    "dangerous" if you are inattentive. I am not complaining of course,
    because after all I did sudo and run it as root.

    Yumex is handy, but I am not using it hardly at all, unless it is one
    particular item I want to either install or remove. I turn OFF my
    mplayer with Bachman Turner Overdrive playing though the 5.1 speakers
    and concentrate on Yumex ... if you get my drift.

    Regards,

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread