Same problem - Help

This is a discussion on Same problem - Help ; Casey if you see my post above yours, I have the same problem but I haven't been able to boot off the slave hard drive at all. Hope someone helps us both with this....

  1. Same problem

    Casey if you see my post above yours, I have the same problem but I
    haven't been able to boot off the slave hard drive at all. Hope someone
    helps us both with this.

  2. Re: Same problem

    "Bruce Barbour" wrote in message
    > Casey if you see my post above yours, I have the same problem but I
    > haven't been able to boot off the slave hard drive at all. Hope someone
    > helps us both with this.

    I double checked the drive, cables etc to see if something was in the
    hardware.
    I can load Ubuntu, but not anything else.
    The bios shows about 10 gig for that drive, but the formating shows about
    9.5 gig???
    I'm new and liked Freespire because of very little command line to get it
    going.
    I even tryed Suse but all of them stops when trying to load or repartition
    the drive.
    I've run out of ideas..

  3. Re: Same problem

    "Bruce Barbour" wrote in message
    > Casey if you see my post above yours, I have the same problem but I
    > haven't been able to boot off the slave hard drive at all. Hope someone
    > helps us both with this.

    Just an update.
    I took out the Windows drive and reconfigured so the Linux drive would be
    the only drive.
    I ran clearhdd, a low level format prog..
    Still no go.
    Can't load any version of linux except Ubuntu.
    Anyother version just stops after it begins to load.
    There is about 400 megs that disappeared.
    I suspect it is some kind of partition or boot sector (I'm new so just
    guessing..)
    Does'nt show up on fdsik or the partition when using Ubuntu.
    Tryed fdisk /mbr etc..no go.
    Still working on it..

  4. Re: Same problem

    On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Casey wrote:

    >"Bruce Barbour" wrote

    >> Casey if you see my post above yours, I have the same problem but I
    >> haven't been able to boot off the slave hard drive at all. Hope someone
    >> helps us both with this.

    Well, obviously you're doing something wrong - not supplying details
    being one problem. Your Sunday post is rather confused , and you may want
    to read the HOWTOs for some concepts.

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 236864 Jul 21 2003 Multi-Disk-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 7749 Jan 21 2001 Multiboot-with-GRUB

    As regards removing the boot loader - someone answered this question in
    response to your post in comp.os.linux. Briefly, use the tools of the
    remaining operating system. As you have windozeXP, use 'FIXMBR' which is
    on the XP CD (replacement for 'FDISK /MBR' which was the solution for
    DOS through winME).

    >I double checked the drive, cables etc to see if something was in the
    >hardware.

    In your Tuesday followup, you state that both drives are 'Master'. They
    must be on separate cables, and properly jumpered.

    >The bios shows about 10 gig for that drive, but the formating shows about
    >9.5 gig???

    Your BIOS is probably reporting the "marketing" number of Gigibits (10^9)
    while 'fdisk' is reporting Gigabits (2^30). The difference is about 7
    percent.

    [compton ~]$ echo '2^30 * 9.5' | bc
    10200547328.0
    [compton ~]$

    so 9.5 x 2^30 is 10.2 x 10^9. Remember, marketeers want the drive to
    appear "bigger".

    >I'm new and liked Freespire because of very little command line to get it
    >going.

    The GUI pictures are wonderful if they do what you want - otherwise they
    are limiting. The advantage of the command line is it _tends_ to do a few
    things, but this can be piped together to do things the GUI author never
    thought of. For example;

    [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.list.11.15.06 | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    That's a list of sanctioned newsgroups in the "Big Eight" hierarchies
    (comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, and talk.*)
    that is posted on the 15th of each month to news.announce.newgroups,
    news.groups, and news.lists.misc. I used the 'cut' command to select the
    newsgroup name (the line also has a description of the group). Two points
    - where is the GUI icon on your desktop that does this? And second,
    notice this this newsgroup is not one of the regulars. You'd really have
    better luck posting to

    comp.os.linux.setup Linux installation and system administration.

    which has a lot more readers.

    >I even tryed Suse but all of them stops when trying to load or repartition
    >the drive. I've run out of ideas..

    And the error message is? Or is your GUI helping you by hiding those
    nasty details?

    Old guy

  5. Re: Same problem

    "Moe Trin" wrote in message
> [...]

    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > That's a list of sanctioned newsgroups in the "Big Eight" hierarchies
    > (comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, and talk.*)
    > that is posted on the 15th of each month to news.announce.newgroups,
    > news.groups, and news.lists.misc. I used the 'cut' command to select the
    > newsgroup name (the line also has a description of the group). Two points
    > - where is the GUI icon on your desktop that does this? And second,
    > notice this this newsgroup is not one of the regulars. You'd really have
    > better luck posting to
    >
    > comp.os.linux.setup Linux installation and system administration.
    >
    > which has a lot more readers.
    >
    >>I even tryed Suse but all of them stops when trying to load or repartition
    >>the drive. I've run out of ideas..

    > And the error message is? Or is your GUI helping you by hiding those

    Moe, I appreciate your attempt at help..
    And I'm sure your a very bright guy.
    But you did'nt solve anything..
    I'm new at this..
    Have'nt a clue what your talking about with 'grep' etc..etc..
    But if your suggesting I have to have a degree in computer science to get
    the hardrive or realplayer to work, I'll buy a new HD and load windows..
    Thanks..

  6. Re: Same problem

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Casey wrote:

    >Moe, I appreciate your attempt at help..
    >And I'm sure your a very bright guy.
    >But you did'nt solve anything..
    >I'm new at this..
    >Have'nt a clue what your talking about with 'grep' etc..etc..

    Well, let's see. First I showed you

    >> [compton ~]$ echo '2^30 * 9.5' | bc
    >> 10200547328.0
    >> [compton ~]$

    where 'bc' is just a calculator program to solve math problems. I assume
    you now know why the drive advertised as 10 Gigs (10 billion bytes) shows
    up as 9.5 gigabytes where giga is the normally used prefix indicating
    1024 * 1024 * 1024 or 2 to the tenth power times 2 to the tenth power times
    2 to the tenth power - which equals 1,073,741,824 or 2 to the thirtieth power.

    Then I showed

    >> [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.list.11.15.06 | cut -f1 | column

    and 'grep' is just a word search tool. And what that was showing is that
    'comp.os.linux.help' isn't a regular newsgroup. Using that same tool and
    looking at the news logs, I can see that there have been 21 posts to this
    newsgroup this month. You'd probably find it more helpful trying one of
    those regular newsgroups as Bruce Barbour did, and he was able to solve
    his problem thanks to help in comp.os.linux.setup which gets about twenty
    times the number of posts. Your choice.

    >But if your suggesting I have to have a degree in computer science to get
    >the hardrive or realplayer to work, I'll buy a new HD and load windows..

    Seeing as how one Linux distribution (PhatLinux) was developed by two
    kids in their sophomore year in high school (should make them around 15),
    and there are several other Linux distributions specifically aimed at
    grade school use - I'd suspect the degree isn't needed, but it's your
    choice as well. One thing you do want to bear in mind is the error
    messages. Even windoze provides those. While they might be meaningless
    to you, they are the key to diagnosing what is happening. Saying that
    FOO doesn't work will get the same amount of help in any Linux or
    microsoft newsgroup.

    Old guy

  7. Re: Same problem

    Bruce Barbour Wrote:
    > Casey if you see my post above yours, I have the same problem but I
    > haven't been able to boot off the slave hard drive at all. Hop
    > someone
    > helps us both with this.

    Best not to try to boot from a slave disc until you get the hang o
    this stuff. Setting up the boot stuff is unfortunately a bit trick
    sometimes.

    Just re-jumper the drives so that the one with Linux on it is a master
    and if I were you I would remove the other drive(s). If you hav
    Windows on them they're no use anyway.

    You should be able to install any Linux distro on it that way, but yo
    still might not find that it boots, depending on what you've done t
    the drive.

    If for example you had a Slackware Linux installation properl
    installed on the drive but you still couldn't boot from it, you coul
    just get yourself a Slackware CD and boot it instead, but when it give
    you a prompt type something like

    "bare.i root=/dev/hda1 ro"

    which just tells the boot loader which kernel to boot and whic
    partition on your hard drive to 'mount' as the 'root' partition (and t
    mount it read-only just for the initialization, so it can be checked b
    fsck).

    If you used a different bit (er, sorry, partition) of the drive for th
    installation then use a different /dev/hdax in the command. And if i
    was the second controller you would say hdcx and not hdax. Slav
    drives are hdb and hdd on the first and second controller
    respectively. I won't go into other controlers like SCSI just now.

    There's a lot of documentation you can read but I understand if yo
    find it difficult to find your way around it. Trust me, it will ge
    easier but there's a long way to go

    --
    ged

+ Reply to Thread