Knoppix question - Help

This is a discussion on Knoppix question - Help ; Recently, I downloaded a copy of Knoppix from knoppix.com. Alas, it was in German, with no way to change languages after boot. Checking their site, there's no mention of this and no listing of where to get versions in other ...

  1. Knoppix question

    Recently, I downloaded a copy of Knoppix from knoppix.com. Alas, it
    was in German, with no way to change languages after boot. Checking
    their site, there's no mention of this and no listing of where to get
    versions in other languages, such as English.

    Trying to find one, I made the mistake of posting a question on their
    forum. Since then, I've received repeated snotty, sneering replies,
    directing me to a faq (Typical Debian attitude, I'm told.) in which
    the issue is disccused, but no pointers to various language ISOs are
    given. I've pointed that out but received further sneers for "not
    being able to understand the faq" from somebody who wasn't even born
    when I first started using a computer in 1968. Does anybody here have
    a link to an English version of Knoppix, or should I just go with
    Gnoppix, presuming their people are less arrogant?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  2. Re: Knoppix question

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > Recently, I downloaded a copy of Knoppix from knoppix.com. Alas, it
    > was in German, with no way to change languages after boot. Checking
    > their site, there's no mention of this and no listing of where to get
    > versions in other languages, such as English.
    >
    > Trying to find one, I made the mistake of posting a question on their
    > forum. Since then, I've received repeated snotty, sneering replies,
    > directing me to a faq (Typical Debian attitude, I'm told.)

    Not really a typical Debian attitude...

    You will find this kind of response from people who know enough to be
    dangerous. They feel they have 'more smarts' than you. Its been my
    experience that higher-level developers/hackers are very friendly and
    more than willing to help.

    in which
    > the issue is disccused, but no pointers to various language ISOs are
    > given.

    You cant go wrong downloading from a US mirror site: chances are that
    they will have an English version there. Look for the 'EN' on the end.
    ('DE' for Deutch).

    http://knoppix.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirro...6-06-01-EN.iso

    I've pointed that out but received further sneers for "not
    > being able to understand the faq" from somebody who wasn't even born
    > when I first started using a computer in 1968. Does anybody here have
    > a link to an English version of Knoppix, or should I just go with
    > Gnoppix, presuming their people are less arrogant?

    Presume nothing :P

  3. Re: Knoppix question

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:30:13 GMT, A wrote:

    >You cant go wrong downloading from a US mirror site: chances are that
    >they will have an English version there. Look for the 'EN' on the end.
    >('DE' for Deutch).

    Thank you; I'll give it a try. Clearly it was a mistake in the first
    place to use BitTorrent, as the only torrent offered was for the
    German version.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns