Best Linux Distribution for Laptops - Help

This is a discussion on Best Linux Distribution for Laptops - Help ; Hi all: I am looking for a Linux distribution whose focus is the mobile platform. I have some Dell D820s and plan on deploying more for my business. I am looking at Linux because of the cost-savings involved and everything ...

  1. Best Linux Distribution for Laptops

    Hi all:

    I am looking for a Linux distribution whose focus is the mobile
    platform. I have some Dell D820s and plan on deploying more for my
    business. I am looking at Linux because of the cost-savings involved
    and everything we need (openoffice, etc) Linux has to offer.

    Here is what I am looking for in a distro:
    * Easy to use - the people getting them aren't necessarily tech savvy.
    * Easy wireless configuration with WPA - these Dells use the wireless
    extensions (wext) and the Intel ipw3945 driver
    * Pretty interfaces (not for me !)

    I am somewhat Linux savvy, but I do not keep up the distribution
    releases as much as I should. I have Gentoo loaded on my laptop and
    have gotten everything working except for the wireless - it works
    intermittently. I have not tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu yet, but from what I
    have seen that may be the direction I follow.

    Does anyone else have anything to offer?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    A.

  2. Re: Best Linux Distribution for Laptops

    On 2006-10-16, ficken wrote:
    > I am looking for a Linux distribution whose focus is the mobile
    > platform.

    There isn't one.

    > I am looking at Linux because of the cost-savings involved

    Which cost savings are you talking about?

    > and everything we need (openoffice, etc) Linux has to offer.

    You can run OO on Windows too, you know?

    Davide

    --
    Windows 98: New look, same multicrashing.

  3. Re: Best Linux Distribution for Laptops

    Davide Bianchi wrote:
    > On 2006-10-16, ficken wrote:
    >> I am looking for a Linux distribution whose focus is the mobile
    >> platform.

    > There isn't one.

    There isn't one? Or have you not seen one?

    >> I am looking at Linux because of the cost-savings involved

    > Which cost savings are you talking about?

    No licensing.

    >> and everything we need (openoffice, etc) Linux has to offer.

    > You can run OO on Windows too, you know?

    I think I need to clarify: there are open source products that give us
    adequate (and sometimes better) replacements to those offered solely on
    a Windows platform. OO replaces MS Office. Evolution replaces Outlook.
    Amarok replaced iTunes. So on and so forth.

    > Davide

  4. Re: Best Linux Distribution for Laptops

    On 2006-10-16, A wrote:
    > There isn't one?

    Every distribution can be installed on a laptop, as long as you are
    willing to figure out which hardware is installed on the laptop (not so
    easy since you can't take the laptop apart and remove what you don't want),
    but as far as I know no distribution is specifically designed to run on
    a laptop, and if it was, it would be targeted to a specific brand/model,
    not really usefull since laptops are changing every day.

    >>> I am looking at Linux because of the cost-savings involved

    >> Which cost savings are you talking about?

    > No licensing.

    Considering that the license is built-in when you buy a new laptop
    it doesn't look like a lot of savings, you didn't considered the hassle
    of getting hardware with no software and no warranty or support (since no
    major distributor support Linux or is willing to support you if you rip
    the bundled OS and put wathever you want on it) and the problems in
    getting the aforementioned hardware without OS or asking for refunds.
    Is this worth it for a little savings? What about when the user(s) are
    out of the office and something goes wrong? With a standard Win laptop
    they can walk in any PC shop and have someone look at it, with Linux
    they're out of luck (especially if they don't know the root password).

    > I think I need to clarify: there are open source products that give us
    > adequate (and sometimes better) replacements to those offered solely on
    > a Windows platform.

    As long as you can convince your users, yes, the point is, most of the
    time the problem isn't to get the software but to convince the users to
    use that instead of...

    Davide

    --
    Going from DOS to Linux is like trading a glider for an F117.

  5. Re: Best Linux Distribution for Laptops

    i'd say try ubuntu or kubuntu first. for general easiness/prettiness most
    distros will be about the same - gnome = gnome, kde = kde, no matter which
    distro. they'll have different methods & tools for admin & installing
    software, but that will prob. make more difference for you than for your
    users. best solution to me would be take a few of the laptops, download,
    say, kubuntu, suse, fedora, and maybe one other one, plus a free evening
    and a sixpack, install them all, whichever one gets the WPA authentication
    to work first wins.

    --arky

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:00:58 +0000, ficken wrote:

    > Hi all:
    >
    > I am looking for a Linux distribution whose focus is the mobile
    > platform. I have some Dell D820s and plan on deploying more for my
    > business. I am looking at Linux because of the cost-savings involved
    > and everything we need (openoffice, etc) Linux has to offer.
    >
    > Here is what I am looking for in a distro:
    > * Easy to use - the people getting them aren't necessarily tech savvy.
    > * Easy wireless configuration with WPA - these Dells use the wireless
    > extensions (wext) and the Intel ipw3945 driver
    > * Pretty interfaces (not for me !)
    >
    > I am somewhat Linux savvy, but I do not keep up the distribution
    > releases as much as I should. I have Gentoo loaded on my laptop and
    > have gotten everything working except for the wireless - it works
    > intermittently. I have not tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu yet, but from what I
    > have seen that may be the direction I follow.
    >
    > Does anyone else have anything to offer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  6. Re: Best Linux Distribution for Laptops

    arkyfedobolan wrote:
    > i'd say try ubuntu or kubuntu first. for general easiness/prettiness most
    > distros will be about the same - gnome = gnome, kde = kde, no matter which
    > distro. they'll have different methods & tools for admin & installing
    > software, but that will prob. make more difference for you than for your
    > users. best solution to me would be take a few of the laptops, download,
    > say, kubuntu, suse, fedora, and maybe one other one, plus a free evening
    > and a sixpack, install them all, whichever one gets the WPA authentication
    > to work first wins.
    >
    > --arky
    >
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:00:58 +0000, ficken wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all:
    >>
    >> I am looking for a Linux distribution whose focus is the mobile
    >> platform. I have some Dell D820s and plan on deploying more for my
    >> business. I am looking at Linux because of the cost-savings involved
    >> and everything we need (openoffice, etc) Linux has to offer.
    >>
    >> Here is what I am looking for in a distro:
    >> * Easy to use - the people getting them aren't necessarily tech savvy.
    >> * Easy wireless configuration with WPA - these Dells use the wireless
    >> extensions (wext) and the Intel ipw3945 driver
    >> * Pretty interfaces (not for me !)
    >>
    >> I am somewhat Linux savvy, but I do not keep up the distribution
    >> releases as much as I should. I have Gentoo loaded on my laptop and
    >> have gotten everything working except for the wireless - it works
    >> intermittently. I have not tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu yet, but from what I
    >> have seen that may be the direction I follow.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else have anything to offer?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    You can get livecds for many distros, so just download a few and try
    them out.
    But don't use redhat derivatives, RPMs are too difficult. just my $0.02

+ Reply to Thread