Would it be possible to mail... - Help

This is a discussion on Would it be possible to mail... - Help ; Hello, I have an older computer. I would like to try out a Linux disto on it. Right now PCLinuxOS, Freespire, Mandriva, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, (other live-cd distros) catch my eye. I'd like to get them and run them on my ...

  1. Would it be possible to mail...

    Hello,

    I have an older computer. I would like to try out a Linux disto on it.
    Right now PCLinuxOS, Freespire, Mandriva, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, (other
    live-cd distros) catch my eye. I'd like to get them and run them on my
    computer. Basically I'm just trying to move away from Windows. But it is
    hard. Problem is, I have Dial-up. Linux is not dial-up friendly, or
    at-least, not friendly to my modem.

    Well that brings me to my next problem. I don't want to have to download
    the whole thing from scratch. So I had an idea. How About someone mail
    me the iso's on CDs (I don't have DVD). In return for the favor I'd mail
    back to the person two sets of iso's burned to disk, or two sets of
    installation CDs burned from the iso's. I wouldn't want Puppy Linux or
    DSL, because I could get them through dial-up.

    So what say you? No back-stabbing involved. I'm going to keep my word.
    Obviously I don't want 100 copies of Mandriva in my mail-box (then, it'd
    be hard to keep to my side of the bargain) so, please email me first. My
    email is kolosus at hotmail.com. Then we can work things out from there.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Would it be possible to mail...

    At Tue, 03 Oct 2006 01:24:00 GMT, kolosus wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an older computer. I would like to try out a Linux disto on it.
    > Right now PCLinuxOS, Freespire, Mandriva, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, (other
    > live-cd distros) catch my eye. I'd like to get them and run them on my

    BTY, I'm in the US.

  3. Re: Would it be possible to mail...

    On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , and in the Usenet
    newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
    , kolosus wrote:

    [PLEASE don't separately post the exact same article to multiple newsgroups]

    >I have an older computer. I would like to try out a Linux disto on it.
    >Right now PCLinuxOS, Freespire, Mandriva, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, (other
    >live-cd distros) catch my eye.

    First problem - what actually _is_ your "older computer"? Each distribution
    has minimum requirements, and if you start going nuts with the gllitzy eye
    candy on a bloated windoze look-alike desktop, a Pentium II with 128 Megs
    is going to feel like frozen cheese.

    >I'd like to get them and run them on my computer. Basically I'm just
    >trying to move away from Windows. But it is hard.

    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    From recent visit, I found

    Try Linux Pack
    22 CDs for only $35!

    CentOS 4.4 ($7.00) Debian 3.1 ($24.50) Fedora 5 ($8.75)
    FreeBSD 6.1 ($3.50) Gentoo 2006.1 ($3.50) KNOPPIX 5.0.1 ($1.75)
    Kubuntu 6.06.1 ($1.75) Mandriva 2006 ($5.25) PCLinuxOS 0.93a ($1.75)
    SimplyMEPIS 6.0 ($1.75) Slackware 10.2 ($7.00) SUSE 10.1 ($8.75)
    Ubuntu 6.06.1 ($1.75)

    That doesn't look like it would break the bank - but if it does, you can get
    Ubuntu for free from their web-site. Another solution is to find the local
    Linux Users Group - who will often even install it for free.

    >Problem is, I have Dial-up. Linux is not dial-up friendly, or at-least,
    >not friendly to my modem.

    Do a goggle search for the "Modem-HOWTO" to identify your modem. Is it a
    real hardware modem? No problem. Is it a $5 modem with a $6 manufacturer's
    rebate (yes, I've seen those) that is dirt cheap because it really isn't
    a full modem - chances get slim, but YOU have to tell us what is what.

    >Well that brings me to my next problem. I don't want to have to download
    >the whole thing from scratch.

    That's understandable for a dialup - the official Fedora Core 5 is five CDs
    (total 2.90 Gigabytes), or one DVD (3.03 Gigabytes) which would be about
    161 hours of continuous download on a perfect 53k telephone connection.

    >How About someone mail me the iso's on CDs (I don't have DVD).

    There are a number of "GPL" distribution services - many of them reached
    through the web site above.

    Find the local Linux Users Group - google is a help here. You seem to be
    in the Cincinnati area:

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 10,100,000 for Linux+User+Group Ohio. (0.21
    seconds)

    CLUG - Cincinnati GNU/Linux Users Group
    All meetings are open to the public, but if you want to see what Linux or
    our group is all about this meeting will have several applications on
    display. ...
    www.clug.org/ - 24k - Oct 1, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

    Find a local friend who uses Linux - this also gives you someone to help
    you locally.

    You _could_ even check out a book from the local library, except that they
    tend to be rather ancient (I finally shamed by city library into replacing
    a book that came with Slackware96 - three guesses what year that came from,
    and the first two don't count).

    Old guy

  4. Re: Would it be possible to mail...

    On 2006-10-03, kolosus wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an older computer. I would like to try out a Linux disto on it.
    > Right now PCLinuxOS, Freespire, Mandriva, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, (other
    > live-cd distros) catch my eye. I'd like to get them and run them on my
    > computer. Basically I'm just trying to move away from Windows. But it is
    > hard. Problem is, I have Dial-up. Linux is not dial-up friendly, or
    > at-least, not friendly to my modem.
    >
    > Well that brings me to my next problem. I don't want to have to download
    > the whole thing from scratch. So I had an idea. How About someone mail
    > me the iso's on CDs (I don't have DVD). In return for the favor I'd mail
    > back to the person two sets of iso's burned to disk, or two sets of
    > installation CDs burned from the iso's. I wouldn't want Puppy Linux or
    > DSL, because I could get them through dial-up.
    >
    > So what say you? No back-stabbing involved. I'm going to keep my word.
    > Obviously I don't want 100 copies of Mandriva in my mail-box (then, it'd
    > be hard to keep to my side of the bargain) so, please email me first. My
    > email is kolosus at hotmail.com. Then we can work things out from there.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It is possible to install from over the net. Just download a small
    installer iso. Less than 100 megs. Suse is one that does this and
    gentoo and a couple others I believe. And install from the net.

    Hope that helps. Or if you can find some linux magazines or go and
    buy a cheap linux book froma book store, like Barnes adn Nobles.
    They include the CD in them. Hope that helps also.

  5. Re: Would it be possible to mail...

    kolosus wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an older computer. I would like to try out a Linux disto on it.
    > Right now PCLinuxOS, Freespire, Mandriva, Knoppix, SimplyMEPIS, (other
    > live-cd distros) catch my eye. I'd like to get them and run them on my
    > computer. Basically I'm just trying to move away from Windows. But it is
    > hard. Problem is, I have Dial-up. Linux is not dial-up friendly, or
    > at-least, not friendly to my modem.
    >
    > Well that brings me to my next problem. I don't want to have to download
    > the whole thing from scratch. So I had an idea. How About someone mail
    > me the iso's on CDs (I don't have DVD). In return for the favor I'd mail
    > back to the person two sets of iso's burned to disk, or two sets of
    > installation CDs burned from the iso's. I wouldn't want Puppy Linux or
    > DSL, because I could get them through dial-up.
    >
    > So what say you? No back-stabbing involved. I'm going to keep my word.
    > Obviously I don't want 100 copies of Mandriva in my mail-box (then, it'd
    > be hard to keep to my side of the bargain) so, please email me first. My
    > email is kolosus at hotmail.com. Then we can work things out from there.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    www.ubuntulinux.com

    They. Will. Ship. You. The. CDs. For. Free.

    Seriously.

    For older hardware, I'd first try Xubuntu, as it has the lightest desktop.

    --
    All your bits are belong to us.

+ Reply to Thread