Share cups printer to OS9.2 fails from appletalk (papd.conf problem?) and LPR. - Help

This is a discussion on Share cups printer to OS9.2 fails from appletalk (papd.conf problem?) and LPR. - Help ; I am trying to share cups printers to various PCs including Macs (some with OS 9.x, some with OSX) and Windows XP. The printers work fine from Linux. They share nicely to XP and OSX via IPP. They do NOT ...

  1. Share cups printer to OS9.2 fails from appletalk (papd.conf problem?) and LPR.

    I am trying to share cups printers to various PCs including Macs (some
    with OS 9.x, some with OSX) and Windows XP. The printers work fine from
    Linux. They share nicely to XP and OSX via IPP. They do NOT share to 9.2,
    either via LPR or Appletalk (netatalk).

    Linux box is Fedora Core 5. I am what could charitably be called newbie to
    linux. I am pretty certain I am missing some fairly simple configuration
    issue.

    For testing I have configured a mac running 9.2 with a clean install, to
    confirm no extension or other software conflicts. Using "Apple Desktop
    Printer Utility" which allows an LPR printer definition I can successfully
    connect and print directly to a PostScript printer from 9.2 mac. If I
    enter the IP# and queue name of a shared printer on the Linux box then
    click "verify" the 9.2 mac confirms it can see the IP address and will set
    up the printer. Attempting to print to the printer produces an error on
    the mac that says the queue is not accepting jobs. I am not sure whether
    this means:
    a) I am not entering the queue name correctly (does the mac want
    /printers/laserwriter or laserwriter or /printers/laserwriter/.print or
    what?); or b) LPR is not really being served, and all the mac can tell is
    that something "pings" back when the "verify" button is clicked.

    But Appletalk should work, and automatically show printers to the mac. The
    documentation says to put "cupsautoadd" at the front of the papd.conf
    file, but this does not share the printers as it says will happen. The
    example given shows "cupsautoadd@myzonep=root:" rather than just
    cupsautoadd. Since I have no zones, , so I tried both
    "cupsautoadd@*p=root:" and "cupsautoaddp=root:" but neither worked.

    What incredibly simple thing am I missing? Follows are some key files.
    Additional info will be supplied if needed. I would supply now, but if I
    had a clue what I should be looking at I'd not be bothering you folks.
    Thanks.
    ---------------------------------------------- /etc/atalk/papd.conf :
    #bunch of comments
    cupsautoaddp=root:
    #
    ----------------------------------------------- /etc/xinetd.conf:
    defaults
    {
    instances = 60
    log_type = SYSLOG authpriv
    log_on_success = HOST PID
    log_on_failure = HOST
    cps = 25 30
    }

    includedir /etc/xinetd.d
    #
    ------------------------------------------------ /etc/xinetd.d/cups :
    service printer
    {
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    user = lp
    group = sys
    passenv =
    server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
    server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream
    }

  2. Re: Share cups printer to OS9.2 fails from appletalk (papd.conf problem?) and LPR.

    Follow on:
    The file /var/log/messages contains the error:
    "Sep 28 18:11:24 localhost papd[4423]: cupsautoadd: Cups support not
    compiled in"
    This would explain why cupsautoadd does not work right in papd.conf and
    thus appletalk does not see the printers. However, I am running cups on
    the system, and print just fine from cups. What gives?

  3. Re: Share cups printer to OS9.2 fails from appletalk (papd.conf problem?)and LPR.

    Gary Carroll wrote:
    > Follow on:
    > The file /var/log/messages contains the error:
    > "Sep 28 18:11:24 localhost papd[4423]: cupsautoadd: Cups support not
    > compiled in"
    > This would explain why cupsautoadd does not work right in papd.conf and
    > thus appletalk does not see the printers. However, I am running cups on
    > the system, and print just fine from cups. What gives?

    I have the problem fixed, and report it here for those who may have
    similar issues. Netatalk reports that FC5 does not have cups support
    compiled in, cupsautoadd does not work.
    This despite running cups just fine.
    If I add the printers manually it works perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread