Accessing Linux drives with Windows - Help

This is a discussion on Accessing Linux drives with Windows - Help ; I have a Linux box (Ubuntu) and a WinXP box connected via a router. I can access drives on the XP box with the Linux box, but I don't have permission to access the Linux box from XP. What configuration ...

  1. Accessing Linux drives with Windows

    I have a Linux box (Ubuntu) and a WinXP box connected via a router. I
    can access drives on the XP box with the Linux box, but I don't have
    permission to access the Linux box from XP. What configuration do I
    need to do to make the drives on the Linux box accessible?

    --
    WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.

  2. Re: Accessing Linux drives with Windows

    Vernon Balbert wrote:
    > I have a Linux box (Ubuntu) and a WinXP box connected via a router. I
    > can access drives on the XP box with the Linux box, but I don't have
    > permission to access the Linux box from XP. What configuration do I
    > need to do to make the drives on the Linux box accessible?

    first you need to edit the smb.conf file to share a user's home
    directory (watch for link word-wrap):

    then add the user to the smbpasswd file:

    there are GUI ways to do this, but i'm not familiar with them. you may
    be able to do this in nautilus, or use swat or webmin.

    --
    Q: What do agnostic, insomniac dyslexics do at night?
    A: Stay awake and wonder if there's a dog.

  3. Re: Accessing Linux drives with Windows

    __/ [ johnny bobby bee ] on Saturday 23 September 2006 01:18 \__

    > Vernon Balbert wrote:
    >> I have a Linux box (Ubuntu) and a WinXP box connected via a router. I
    >> can access drives on the XP box with the Linux box, but I don't have
    >> permission to access the Linux box from XP. What configuration do I
    >> need to do to make the drives on the Linux box accessible?
    >>

    > first you need to edit the smb.conf file to share a user's home
    > directory (watch for link word-wrap):
    >

    > then add the user to the smbpasswd file:
    >

    > there are GUI ways to do this, but i'm not familiar with them. you may
    > be able to do this in nautilus, or use swat or webmin.

    Failing that, you could make the drive/s available via FTP. This, however,
    should not be necessary.

+ Reply to Thread