    hard drive. Does linux logs these unwanted downloads?

    I appreciate your help. Thanks

  2. Re: Does linux logging tracks unwanted downloads

    On 2006-09-15, mccintl wrote:
    > Hello fellow linux users,
    >
    > Some or most websites dumps unwanted downloads
    > like spyware cookies executable files and such to your
    > hard drive. Does linux logs these unwanted downloads?
    >
    > I appreciate your help. Thanks

    Yes and no.
    It will download cookies, spyware, and other files, but unlike
    it can't run the exe files, like the modem dialers you find on
    some sex sites. Unless you have wine installed, And then I
    don't think it would actually do anything. So, you don't have
    to worry about anything like that. The spyware you don't have
    anything to worry about either. This is somewhat an educated
    guess. I have been using linux ever since 1995.

    In my opinion, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    You can still set settings to stop you from getting cokies.
    If you use firefox, there are plug-ins that you can install
    or it is already included. You will find out.

    You are welcome.

  3. Re: Does linux logging tracks unwanted downloads

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:04:15 GMT, Robert Hinson
    wrote:

    >It will download cookies, spyware, and other files, but unlike
    >it can't run the exe files, like the modem dialers you find on
    >some sex sites. Unless you have wine installed, And then I
    >don't think it would actually do anything.

    I've not used wine, as yet, but AIUI, you first need to configure wine
    to run the program, then you have the program run *with* wine. If so,
    you're even safer because none of this is going to be done during a
    drive-by download.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns