Install directory conventions - Help

This is a discussion on Install directory conventions - Help ; Hi, I'm new to Linux and installing some applications. What root directory do most people end up installing their applications to? (e.g. in Windows it is Program Files) - Brian...

  1. Install directory conventions

    Hi,

    I'm new to Linux and installing some applications. What root directory do
    most people end up installing their applications to? (e.g. in Windows it is
    Program Files)

    - Brian

  2. Re: Install directory conventions

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:56:38 -0500, "Brian Bagnall"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm new to Linux and installing some applications. What root directory do
    >most people end up installing their applications to? (e.g. in Windows it is
    >Program Files)
    >
    >- Brian

    Generally /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin if you're not installing as root.
    More often than not, applications will "know" where they belong if
    they have an install script.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns