SATA Drive Use for Speed? - Help

This is a discussion on SATA Drive Use for Speed? - Help ; I've just read several articles about SATA drives being less reliable than SCSI drives and possible less than a well-built IDE drive. I recently bought a 10,000 rpm 32GB SATA drive with the idea of using it as the HD ...

  1. SATA Drive Use for Speed?

    I've just read several articles about SATA drives being less reliable than
    SCSI drives and possible less than a well-built IDE drive. I recently
    bought a 10,000 rpm 32GB SATA drive with the idea of using it as the HD on
    a new 64 box. Now, I am seeing that the box will not boot from the SATA
    drive -- regardless of BiOS settings -- and the whole conversation about
    reliability etc, is making me nervous. I imagine that I will be able to
    modify my FC5 install to boot from the SATA drive so am not too worried
    about that.

    What say you, group? Your ideas please ...

    Cheers,

    Dave

  2. Re: SATA Drive Use for Speed?

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > I've just read several articles about SATA drives being less reliable than
    > SCSI drives and possible less than a well-built IDE drive. I recently
    > bought a 10,000 rpm 32GB SATA drive with the idea of using it as the HD on
    > a new 64 box. Now, I am seeing that the box will not boot from the SATA
    > drive -- regardless of BiOS settings -- and the whole conversation about
    > reliability etc, is making me nervous. I imagine that I will be able to
    > modify my FC5 install to boot from the SATA drive so am not too worried
    > about that.
    >
    > What say you, group? Your ideas please ...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Dave

    I went back and decided to answer this myself -- a couple months later
    or so.

    The MOBO I am using for my AMD 64 CPU has a complex way to designate the
    actual drive from which the system boots. Once I got that figured out,
    I loaded FC6 on the system using an LVM which included the 36G SATA and
    a 200G IDE.

    /dev/sda filled up in no time and caused a system crash due to no space
    left on it. Meanwhile, /dev/hda had 150G left.

    I went back and continued with my tinkering.

    I installed two 250G IDE hard drives with /home on one and /var and /usr
    and /opt on the other. I put /home on another drive, /dev/hdd (100GB)
    and /dev/sda -- the sata drive -- holds "/", /boot and the rest of the
    stuff.

    I specifically did not create the LVM system. I am not sure why, but
    LVM has screwed me up so many times before (probably because of my own
    ignorance) that I decided to not use it at all.

    So, now the system is extremely fast. Cold boot to sign in screen in 11
    seconds; shut down in 7 seconds and there is virtually no delay
    descernable when using applications.

    Only when I tried out a fractal design application -- Fyre by Trowbridge
    and Dowty and cranked Fyre's resolution levela up did I start to see
    some slow down.

    Bottom line?

    I am very impressed with Fedora Core 6' particularly impressed with
    YumEx and KlamAV (anti-virus system). With twenty desktops ready, I
    have a desktop for each application and some left over.

    Between this installtion and an XP install on another machine at my
    company, there really is very little comparison. Still seeing web sites
    which will not play their multi media under Firefox, but that is a minor
    irritation.

    Cheers,

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread