Advice on Linux newsgroups - Help

This is a discussion on Advice on Linux newsgroups - Help ; What group should I post questions on apps to use for specific tasks such as what's the best linux application to use when capturing a portion of a screen (not the full screen, but a user defined rectangular area) and ...

  1. Advice on Linux newsgroups

    What group should I post questions on apps to use for specific tasks
    such as what's the best linux application to use when capturing a
    portion of a screen (not the full screen, but a user defined
    rectangular area) and best application to use to listen to FM Radio on
    the net?

    New to Linux,

  2. Re: Advice on Linux newsgroups

    for screengrabs, i love KSnapShot.

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:28:01 -0500, the guy upstairs wrote:

    > What group should I post questions on apps to use for specific tasks
    > such as what's the best linux application to use when capturing a
    > portion of a screen (not the full screen, but a user defined
    > rectangular area) and best application to use to listen to FM Radio on
    > the net?
    >
    > New to Linux,

  3. Re: Advice on Linux newsgroups

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , the guy upstairs wrote:

    >What group should I post questions on apps to use for specific tasks
    >such as what's the best linux application to use when capturing a
    >portion of a screen (not the full screen, but a user defined
    >rectangular area) and best application to use to listen to FM Radio on
    >the net?

    On the 15th of every month, there's a posting to news.announce.newgroups,
    news.groups, and news.lists.misc titled "List of Big Eight Newsgroups".

    [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.list.08.15.06
    comp.os.linux.advocacy Benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.
    comp.os.linux.alpha Linux on Digital Alpha machines.
    comp.os.linux.announce Announcements important to the Linux community.
    (Moderated)
    comp.os.linux.answers FAQs, How-To's, READMEs, etc. about Linux. (Moderated)
    comp.os.linux.development.apps Writing Linux applications, porting to Linux.
    comp.os.linux.development.system Linux kernels, device drivers, modules.
    comp.os.linux.embedded Linux operating system on embedded hardware.
    comp.os.linux.hardware Hardware compatibility with the Linux operating system.
    comp.os.linux.m68k Linux operating system on 680x0 Amiga, Atari, VME.
    comp.os.linux.misc Linux-specific topics not covered by other groups.
    comp.os.linux.networking Networking and communications under Linux.
    comp.os.linux.portable Linux OS on portable PCs.
    comp.os.linux.powerpc Linux systems running on PowerPC microprocessors.
    comp.os.linux.security Security and the GNU/Linux Operating System.
    comp.os.linux.setup Linux installation and system administration.
    comp.os.linux.x Linux X Window System servers, clients, libs and fonts.
    comp.os.linux.xbox Linux on Xbox.
    [compton ~]$

    So really, it looks like comp.os.linux.misc (which this comp.os.linux.help
    got renamed to in 1994) if you stay with the Big 8. Your headers looks
    like giganews and they have a shedload of newsgroups. I don't use Agent,
    so I don't know how you'd get the list, but for clues:

    [compton ~]$ wc -l .newsrc
    106032 newsrc
    [compton ~]$ grep -c linux .newsrc
    1121
    [compton ~]$ ls -l .newsrc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ibuprofi news 2518846 Sep 1 04:04 .newsrc
    [compton ~]$

    giganews has just over 100,000 groups, 1121 of which have the string
    'linux' in the name. You'd have to read the manual for your news tool
    to see how to tell it to download that list of available newsgroups.
    Here, I've got a cron job that grabs the list on the first of each
    month, although the list really doesn't change significantly that often.

    You'll want to hit a search engine to try to answer your questions first.
    There, you'll discover that using the word "best" is a waste of time. What
    is the best ice cream? The best beer/cola? The best car/truck? Does
    everyone agree with your opinion? If only one of those is best, why are
    the others selling, never mind why do they exist?

    >New to Linux,

    Welcome!

    Old guy

  4. Re: Advice on Linux newsgroups

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:12:29 -0500, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    (Moe Trin) wrote:

    > I don't use Agent,
    >so I don't know how you'd get the list,

    I do. Click on Online, then Get Groups.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  5. Re: Advice on Linux newsgroups

    Guys,

    Thanks for your help. Arkyfedobolan, I downloaded and installed
    KSnapshot and it works great. Old Guy, I am again indebted to you for
    your advice.

    Thanks again people

    wrote:

    >What group should I post questions on apps to use for specific tasks
    >such as what's the best linux application to use when capturing a
    >portion of a screen (not the full screen, but a user defined
    >rectangular area) and best application to use to listen to FM Radio on
    >the net?
    >
    >New to Linux,

+ Reply to Thread