Mounting older Moto VME187 volume - Help

This is a discussion on Mounting older Moto VME187 volume - Help ; All, I received a projected request to pull data (case management system for a justice court) from an old moto vme187 box running R2.2 of some flavor of *nix. No one has root password including the judge (she requested the ...

  1. Mounting older Moto VME187 volume

    All,

    I received a projected request to pull data (case management system for a
    justice court) from an old moto vme187 box running R2.2 of some flavor of
    *nix. No one has root password including the judge (she requested the data
    be pulled off for conversion/inclusion into their new windows software)

    Anyway,

    I can finagle a connection for the original SCSI-1 drive into a box but am
    curious if I'm wasting my time trying to install Linux on the box in a
    separate volume and attempting to mount the vme disk for access. Would one
    distro work better than others for this case if possible?

    Thanks in advance for any comments/critisims.

    Tom Homan
    Gila County GIS Coordinator

  2. Re: Mounting older Moto VME187 volume

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    <44edc7d1$0$8856$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>, Thomas Homan wrote:

    >I received a projected request to pull data (case management system for a
    >justice court) from an old moto vme187 box running R2.2 of some flavor of
    >*nix. No one has root password including the judge (she requested the data
    >be pulled off for conversion/inclusion into their new windows software)

    Very common type of problem. Unfortunately, old hardware and old standards
    become useless after a time. I wonder if that might be OpenBSD. 2.2 was
    released in December 1997, and 2.3 came out ~6 months later. You could
    try mounting the disk in a Linux system, and running '/sbin/fdisk -l' on
    the device, and seeing what it thinks the file system is. Note that while
    fdisk might identify the file system, that's not saying that /bin/mount
    would have the slightest idea what to do with it.

    >I can finagle a connection for the original SCSI-1 drive into a box but am
    >curious if I'm wasting my time trying to install Linux on the box in a
    >separate volume and attempting to mount the vme disk for access. Would one
    >distro work better than others for this case if possible?

    Distribution? _probably_ not. I don't think any would know how to handle
    that filesystem. One of the *BSDs _might_ have a clue, and if it _is_
    OpenBSD, that O/S is alive and kicking and currently on version 3.9. If
    you have an x86 box with a SCSI controller and 3.5 inch floppy, you could
    try seeing what Toms RootNBoot thinks of it

    1728550 May 4 2002 tomsrtbt-2.0.103.ElTorito.288.img.bz2
    2242580 May 4 2002 tomsrtbt-2.0.103.dos.zip
    1119 May 4 2002 tomsrtbt-2.0.103.lsm
    1829836 May 4 2002 tomsrtbt-2.0.103.tar.gz

    The .lsm is a description - use one of the others depending on what
    operating system you have that can write to a 3.5" floppy. If your
    system can boot from a CD, there are also several LiveCD type systems
    that would have more stuff than Toms (there's only so much you can
    over-stuff [1.72 Megs] into a 1.44 Meg floppy). Toms is available at
    http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/rescue/ but FTP to the same place
    is faster. Live CDs... try http://www.distrowatch.com/

    >Thanks in advance for any comments/critisims.

    First, try posting to a real newsgroup. You might notice that the traffic
    here is sparse - the group was renamed 'comp.os.linux.misc' back in 1994
    but some newsservers carry it to make it appear that they have more news
    groups than anyone else. In the official big-8 hierarchy, I'd suggest
    comp.unix.admin or comp.unix.misc. If it is OpenBSD, there is a group
    comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc, but traffic is _very_ light. In the alternative
    groups, you could try 'alt.folklore.computers' and probably stand a good
    chance of finding a dinosaur over there who remembers this stuff.

    A quick google search (you tried that, right?) doesn't turn up much other
    than the hints of OpenBSD.

    As this is official, you might try contacting a data recovery service,
    such as www.ontrack.com, though they'd probably be VERY EXPEN$IVE. As
    an Arizona taxpayer (Maricopa county), I'd hope that can be avoided. ;-)

    Old guy

  3. Re: Mounting older Moto VME187 volume

    Thanks for everything Moe, now I at least have a direction.

    Tom