Strange sndstat - please help - Help

This is a discussion on Strange sndstat - please help - Help ; Please,what are all possibilities for "No such device" when doing cat /dev/sndstat ? I am not a newbie, and I think there are no problems with hardware and no troubles with kernel, because I only switched to a new hard ...

  1. Strange sndstat - please help

    Please,what are all possibilities for "No such device" when doing
    cat /dev/sndstat ?

    I am not a newbie, and I think there are no problems with hardware
    and no troubles with kernel, because I only switched to a new hard
    disk and a fresh instalation with the very same kernel from the old
    hard disk where music was playing just fine.

    At boot time my AWE64 is detected as es1371 (Ensoniq, soundblaster
    AWE64). Modules embedded into the kernel, and the same kernel was in
    the old HD where audio was working well. I even recompiled the
    kernel with the same config. It didn't help.

    I get no sound at all from my loudspeakers; and cat /dev/sndstat
    says No such device. However, I have sndstat in /dev. I did a proper
    makedev.

    Also, permisions are:
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 14, 6 Aug 22 11:13 /dev/sndstat
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 14, 3 Aug 22 11:13 /dev/dsp

    I set permisions for the devices read/write to all after I couldn't
    get the sound, but it didn't help either. Originally perms were
    crw-rw----.

    It seems to me it's nothing from those common problems. It seems to
    me this is something very odd, stupid. I just can't remember what,
    Please suggest something, I run out of ideas.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Strange sndstat - please help

    Feranija wrote:
    > Please,what are all possibilities for "No such device" when doing cat
    > /dev/sndstat ?
    >
    > I am not a newbie, and I think there are no problems with hardware and
    > no troubles with kernel, because I only switched to a new hard disk and
    > a fresh instalation with the very same kernel from the old hard disk
    > where music was playing just fine.
    >
    > At boot time my AWE64 is detected as es1371 (Ensoniq, soundblaster
    > AWE64). Modules embedded into the kernel, and the same kernel was in the
    > old HD where audio was working well. I even recompiled the kernel with
    > the same config. It didn't help.
    >
    > I get no sound at all from my loudspeakers; and cat /dev/sndstat says No
    > such device. However, I have sndstat in /dev. I did a proper makedev.
    >
    > Also, permisions are:
    > crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 14, 6 Aug 22 11:13 /dev/sndstat
    > crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 14, 3 Aug 22 11:13 /dev/dsp
    >
    > I set permisions for the devices read/write to all after I couldn't get
    > the sound, but it didn't help either. Originally perms were crw-rw----.
    >
    > It seems to me it's nothing from those common problems. It seems to me
    > this is something very odd, stupid. I just can't remember what, Please
    > suggest something, I run out of ideas.
    >
    > Thank you.

    OK, I found out what happened to my sound. The sound was ok all the
    time. As I said, I didn't believe it has something to do with my
    soundcard or a kernel or device permissions; the problem was mixer.

    I had to turn the volume and Pcm all the way up to hear just little
    bit of sound, however the sound is here. I dont know yet why and
    what happened to the mixer.

  3. Re: Strange sndstat - please help

    Feranija wrote:
    > Feranija wrote:
    >
    >> Please,what are all possibilities for "No such device" when doing cat
    >> /dev/sndstat ?
    >>
    >> I am not a newbie, and I think there are no problems with hardware and
    >> no troubles with kernel, because I only switched to a new hard disk
    >> and a fresh instalation with the very same kernel from the old hard
    >> disk where music was playing just fine.
    >>
    >> At boot time my AWE64 is detected as es1371 (Ensoniq, soundblaster
    >> AWE64). Modules embedded into the kernel, and the same kernel was in
    >> the old HD where audio was working well. I even recompiled the kernel
    >> with the same config. It didn't help.
    >>
    >> I get no sound at all from my loudspeakers; and cat /dev/sndstat says
    >> No such device. However, I have sndstat in /dev. I did a proper makedev.
    >>
    >> Also, permisions are:
    >> crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 14, 6 Aug 22 11:13 /dev/sndstat
    >> crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 14, 3 Aug 22 11:13 /dev/dsp
    >>
    >> I set permisions for the devices read/write to all after I couldn't
    >> get the sound, but it didn't help either. Originally perms were
    >> crw-rw----.
    >>
    >> It seems to me it's nothing from those common problems. It seems to me
    >> this is something very odd, stupid. I just can't remember what, Please
    >> suggest something, I run out of ideas.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > OK, I found out what happened to my sound. The sound was ok all the
    > time. As I said, I didn't believe it has something to do with my
    > soundcard or a kernel or device permissions; the problem was mixer.
    >
    > I had to turn the volume and Pcm all the way up to hear just little bit
    > of sound, however the sound is here. I dont know yet why and what
    > happened to the mixer.

    And cat /dev/sndstat still say "No such device". If somebody is
    interested, this is Debian 3.1 and kernels 2.4.xx (2.4.18 and
    2.4.27). Crazy.

+ Reply to Thread